Sterilizing Sponges

I put kitchen sponges in my dishwasher and run the cycle with a cup of bleach. After the dishwasher disinfects of the kitchen sponges, I spray them with a disinfectant spray and place in the microwave for about 50 seconds on high power. After completion of using the sponges to wash the counters, stove and other areas of the kitchen, I once again wash the sponges thoroughly in hot water, spray with a disinfectant spray and place in the microwave for 1 minutes at medium/high power. Make sure that there is no metal elements on the sponges before placing them in the microwave for disinfecting purposes.

I also use the same method for micro-fiber cloths. The sponges and the micro-fiber cloths are laundered in hot water in the washing machine once a week; otherwise, they are washed in the dishwasher with bleach; the bleach also disinfects the dishwasher.

Ad

By WandaJo

February 14, 20110 found this helpful

Why not just use a clean cloth every day and put it in the laundry? seven cloths don't take up that much room in the washer and it seems much easier than going through all that.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 14, 20110 found this helpful

This is overkill. You can put wet, but not dripping, sponges in the microwave for 1 minute after rinsing the excess dirt out and they will be sterilized. no disinfectant required. You can run them through a cycle with the dishes, no bleach required and the same result. All that bleach is bad for the environment, our water supply, and you.

Change your kitchen linen daily and wash a load every two weeks with hot water, soap and borax, and a capful of mouthwash if you like for germs. Rinse with vinegar which is slightly acidic and kills germs without being toxic.

Ad
ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 14, 20110 found this helpful

I too think you are doing overkill. I have put dishcloths & sponges in dishwasher for years along with the dishes. The water gets "extra" hot in there and saves running the washing machine a bit. I would be wary of putting bleach in the dishwasher. The heating elements in them are metal and I think the bleach might cause them to rust. I'd check my owners manual or call company to make sure.

stormy10000 in Ca.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
February 14, 20110 found this helpful

Yep. Too much. I agree with Lilac, plain white dish cloths are s-o-o easy to bleach, launder, and microwave. Those packs of plain white dish cloths are found cheap everywhere. Ditch the sponge! Fold up the whitey into a tightey if space is a problem. (Dampen, then microwave, you'll think it was your old friend sponge bob).

Ad
ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 15, 20110 found this helpful

I agree that absorbent kitchen towels work well for many cleaning chores, it is nice to have a scrubby sided sponge for cleaning the stuck on food. I run my sponge through the dishwasher every few days and this seems to help it keep clean. I don't do anything special, just the regular load.

Bleach is in most dishwasher detergent so I'm not sure that adding additional bleach would be beneficial OR harmful.

Thanks for sharing your tips.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 9, 20140 found this helpful

I also put sponges in dishwasher. I tried putting sponge in microwave for 45 sec and it started to catch on fire. have no idea why since it had no food, grime, etc on it. So be careful putting in microwave.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 9, 20140 found this helpful

I also agree with Lilac. I change the cloth I wash dishes with and the cloth I dry dishes with every day. I also keep a cloth that I wash the sink and counter with. Once a week I do a small load in the washing machine. It really helps cut down on the number of paper towels I use.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 9, 20140 found this helpful

This is way too OCD for me. If you're that concerned about sterilizing a sponge, wet it and place in micro for 2 minutes. Better yet, start using paper towels.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 10, 20140 found this helpful

I agree, all of this is over-kill. Simply putting it in the microwave for 1.5 to 2 minutes is all you need to do.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 10, 20140 found this helpful

Simplify... Stuff sticks/grows in sponges. I almost throw up when I see a dirty sponge! Use cloths. Throw in microwave for 1 minute. Then air dry. If it looks grungy (usually from coffee or tea) use a little bleach/water, rinse and air dry. I have used cloths all my life (all over the world and camping) and not until recent years used microwave. Not sure micro is even necessary. Seldom sick.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
In This Article
A pile of sponges ready for cleaning.
Sterilizing Sponges
< Previous
Categories
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyFebruary 13, 2011
Guides
Potting Soil
Sterilizing Potting Soil
Stack of blue, yellow, and green sponges.
Cleaning Household Sponges
Plastic water jug.
Sterilizing Water Containers
Colorful Sponges
Craft Uses for Sponges
More
🎉
New Years Ideas!
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 4, 2016 at 11:42:57 AM on 10.0.1.136 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!