Wrinkled Polyester Tablecloth

By it's.only.me 168 254

I have a 100% polyester 108 in. tablecloth that I cannot remove the wrinkles. When I iron it, the section that I have finished ironing becomes wrinkled when I start to iron a new section. Since it is a large tablecloth, I find it difficult to handle.

I have a front load washer and use delicate cycle, and spin it on the lowest speed. I do not use the dryer. I don't have an outside clothesline so I hang it over my shower curtain rod. I have tried many different ways to remove the wrinkles and nothing seems to help. I would appreciate any ideas or advice. Thanks.

By mkymlp from PA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Judi 18 938 Flag

I fold my largest table cloths in half and iron close to a bed so I can spread the cloth as it's ironed across the bed. It's not perfect even then but better than it was before. In my opinion, when something is that hard to care for it's not worth it. I don't use mine anymore!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vi Johnson 286 801 Flag

Take it to a dry cleaners to be" just pressed." Make sure the tablecloth is clean with no grease spots first.

Good Luck, GG Vi

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Noella 11 381 Flag

You can iron the polyester table cloth using a "pressing" cloth. I used to put creases in polyester pants that way way back when.

Find a cotton cloth - an unfolded diaper works great or a cotton dish towel - not one with nibs or nubbles in it. Dampen the cloth and place over the part of the table cloth that you want to iron. The steam from the pressing cloth helps to get the wrinkles out. As the pressing cloth dries out from ironing you will have to re-dampen.

You will be amazed at how well this works. Back when we did more ironing, using a pressing cloth was more common. It is also useful when ironing something very dark - like black or navy blue shirts. It will prevent the shine that comes from the ironing.

Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sharyl 14 74 Flag

You could try using a spray starch as you iron this should prevent the creases returning as you manipulate the table cloth on your ironing board.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By OliveOyl 602 Flag

I would try tossing the tablecloth in the dryer as synthetics often come out nice looking from the dryer. Use a dryer sheet to eliminate static.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Bobbie Hudson-Penick 48 Flag

I agree with OliveOyl, sometimes polyester comes out best from a trip through the dryer. Be sure to use the cycle with cool down, remove and hang immediately. When you wash in hot water the spin puts the wrinkles in as the fabric is hot and it takes the hot dryer to relax them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Bobbie Hudson-Penick 48 Flag

Here is Heloise's tip for a pair of slacks & should be the same for a table cloth:

Overloading the washing machine and dryer or not using the correct cycle usually causes this problem. Try putting the slacks back into the washer and using the permanent-press cycle. Then toss them into the dryer and set the control for about 15 to 20 minutes on permanent press. A heat and cool-down period should help to eliminate the wrinkles. Take them out of the dryer as soon as the cycle stops and hang them as soon as possible. If this doesn't work, here's another method to try: Dampen the pants with water, then, using a pressing cloth, iron out the wrinkles.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

White Polyester Tablecloth
Removing Wrinkles from a Polyester Tablecloth
Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 2, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
A woman ironing clothing.
Ironing Polyester Clothing and Fabric
White Polyester Tablecloth
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 2:52:46 AM on 10.0.0.166 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings