Be an Encourager

contest winner icon

Do you want to be remembered with love everywhere? Learn to be an encourager. It isn't hard to do: it's as simple as smiling and saying something nice to at least one person, every day.

Too many people these days walk around thinking they're nobodies with nothing to offer and no beauty - either inside or out. In this world full of pain and poor self-esteem, a simple kind word can be like a spring of fresh water in the desert.

Think about it. Not only are smiles and kind words entirely free - they're as good for you as the recipient. Smiling uses more muscles than frowning, and just the words "It's great to see you" can lift some depressed soul from the depths of gloom. I still remember a day, more than 15 years ago, when a complete stranger greeted me kindly on the streets of Dayton, OH. My mind had been whirling with my troubles - but after that kind greeting, my entire outlook was brighter. My problems didn't end, but I was better able to cope. Now, wherever I go, I offer encouragement and a smile.

Always remember, if you find someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

Source: Personal experience, brought to mind by Joel Osteen's sermon.

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

Well said. Thanks for sharing.

Amen JPJ! :-)

Best advice I've seen for a happy life spent doing something that makes the world a better place to live, and it doesn't cost one thin dime. Sometimes the best things in life really are free.

Thank you Jo. The beat part of your message is, "You practice what you preach."

Pookarina

Thanks, ladies! Yes, I do practice what I preach. It can be tough some days, but the benefits are amazing. It makes my day when I encounter a real "pickle-puss" and turn his or her bad day around. Just feeling the change in their general atmosphere is all the reward I need! :D

Great advice. Doing something to help someone else is a self esteem booster.

That reminds me of the movie "Patch Adams" and his experiment of trying to make people smile. And my own experience.

I was just going about my business, being my normal self as a cashier one day many years ago and helped an older woman. After I was done with her transaction, she asked for my name, took out a card and wrote my name down on it. She said she was writing her autobiography and I was being added to it. That was one of the nicest compliments I've received, not for being in a book, but because this normal act of helping and being friendly to another person made such an impact on her that it seemed important enough for her to want to remember it. Made me think she was a positive person...

Thank you for the post. You never know what a kind smile or small gesture can mean to someone who is sad or down. I know it makes a difference to me.

Jpdoughgrl , LitterGitter and everyone, your great feedback reminds me of something else I do: I learn our server's name at any restaurant. Then if we need anything we can say "Hey, Sarah," instead of "hey, you" or "hey, waitress." Helping the server's morale has the effect of improving service, but that's just a fringe benefit.

My sister is also a cashier, and she takes extra time with her blind customers. Others in line may get a little impatient, but she calmly points out that her own sister is blind. She wants to treat every blind person as well as she treats me. Another reason I love my sister!

Remember the Golden Rule! Do unto others as you would have them do to you!

This is the best! And sometimes I'm concerned about people and their texting, no one even makes eye contact any more.

Whenever my sweetie and I go out to dinner and our server is not in sight when we are ready to leave, I hunt her/him down and hand the tip directly to them. I always say "Here, hold this!" They always smile and give a very cheerful thanks. It surprises them for sure! I never know when the tip is just left on the table whether they will get it or not and I want to make sure they do. It definitely make MY day to do it like that that! *L*

Pamphylla... you've got it! The Golden Rule. LeeAnne, lol! I think servers like your practice as much as I do. :D

I have been a positive thinker and encourager for most of my life. Now, at age 70, I am working in the office at a funeral home. This is the most rewarding job of my life! Bringing comfort to these grieving families gives me such a wonderful feeling. I have even made some friends with whom I keep in touch. It just goes to show you can be of service in the most unusual ways.

Living a Positive Lifestyle
Living a Positive Lifestyle
Better Living InspirationalJune 13, 2011
🎄