Freeze Water Containers for Emergencies

This is an excellent suggestion that was printed recently in our local paper as a tip for power failures during storms: make freezer packs by placing water filled water jugs, plastic pop bottles, or gallon ice cream containers in the deep freeze.

These can be used in the freezer or refrigerator during outages to help keep them cold. If the door is not opened too much it should help to keep the food frozen for several days. As a hurricane approaches us I now have as many in the freezer as I had room for.

By mother of 5 from Nova Scotia

I've been doing this for decades, so I'll add another use for these. I don't toss some of those fruit juice containers or 2 liter pop bottles. I freeze them and whenever I need ice for a picnic a road trip, I have it already frozen and as it melts we have additional water from home we can drink instead of buying it. Yet another saving. *wink* O and today I'm defrosting my freezer, so guess what those frozen bottles will be doing today. They will go into my bathtub along with what's in my freezer to be covered by a heavy sleeping bag, till the freezer is done.

*NOTE* De-icing my freezer happens fast too, I boil water in pots, put them in my unloaded freezer and close the door. Sure gets the job done faster. Any questions just ask.

Our freezer is begining to get a lot of open space as we have used the vegetables frozen last summer. I've started washing out milk jugs and fillling them with water to fill the empty spaces in the freezer.

The jugs of ice will come in handy for cooling corn when it's freezing time again.

Prepare your home for an emergency.
Preparing Your Home for an Emergency
Home and Garden Emergency PreparationAugust 26, 2009
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Plastic water jug.
Sterilizing Water Containers