I received a candle warmer for a Christmas present. I feel that it is safer than burning candles. My friend feels the opposite. She said she is afraid that she wouldn't remember to turn off the candle warmer, but would see the flames on burning candles and this would remind her. Curious about opinions on this topic!
put the warmer on a timer
I have a candle warmer and I usually leave it on 24/7. I don't worry about it catching on fire or anything as long as no papers or anything else is close to or touching it.
Question: Doesn't the smell of the candle eventually go away?
I've never had a candle warmer, so I can't tell you on it. I usually use candles. I like the ambience they make, a sense of 'down home'. If it's just my husband and I, alone at home, I have no problem remembering to extinguish the candle. But once, we was entertaining some friends & we all decided to leave and go out. I forgot & left my candle burning & didn't remember it till about 2 hrs. later! I gasped and ran for the door to go home, my friend, ran after me to see what was wrong. I told her, "I forgot & left my candle burning!!" She said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, I blew it out for you!" Wow, such a sense of relief!!! So soon after that I invested in an electric potpourri pot, like a small crockpot, but only for potpourri. You add water & dried potpourri. It really makes your home smell nice. This way, if I forget it, it's still ok, it only boils dry, no problem.
I've had a Candle warmer for a couple of years and never turn it off and have never had a minutes trouble with it.
I LEAVE A JAR FILLED WITH LIQUID POTPOURRI SIMMERING ON MINE ALL THE TIME. IT HAS NEVER OVERHEATED AND I ALWAYS HAVE A NICE SCENT IN THE HOUSE
I use candle warmers and burn candles too. My best friend makes the best candles. thewaxwagon.com
I make sure my candle warmers on plugged into one of the plugins that have a button on them so if the circuit gets overloaded it will shut off the plug in. However, my son, who just finished fire fighter academy and he told me to start turning them off if I'm not going to be home because before the circuit breaker flips, the fire would have started at the base of the candle warmer....so what do you do? lol I followed my son's advice. I've always claimed he raised me, being a young mother and him with such a level head on his shoulders.
So keep flamables away from any burning candles and/or warmers. It's always better to be safe.
ON burning candles, keep the wick trimmed to a quarter inch and always keep away from children and pets, curtains and use common sense when using either.
Probably the warmer is safer but I think a burning candle is prettier.
I have a coaster under my candle warmer and have left it on overnight. I wanted some wax melted by morning and didnt want to worry about whether I would scorch my desk so I put a thick coaster under it.
You can even buy a cheap pot pad or trivet. Just be sure that it is big enough so the warmer isnt tippy. It's probably okay even without the pad but I dont want to take a chance on ruining a brand new $400 desk. It just gives me an added sense of protection.
When I am not using my candle warmer for candles I use it to keep my coffee hot.
Coffee warmers are generally hotter than candle warmers and not recommended if you are going to warm the candle for a long time. But a candle warmer you can use for both.
Mostly I just use my warmer to melt wax to make other candles. If I am home, there is a candle burning.
And yes the scent of a repeatedly warmed candle does disappear after awhile. The scent in the scented oil disspates but the oil is still there so adding more oil may cause a fire hazard. Better to use the old wax for a scentless candle, give it to someone who will or pitch it.
No reason you couldnt use your warmer with some potpourri liquid and some water tho. Shop around and you can buy like a quart for 2 bucks. You would probably get sick of the smell before you use it all.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!