Candy Cane "Advent Calendar" Tree

When our boys were too small to understand what an advent calendar was I still wanted a way for them to be able to count the days until Christmas.

While we were decorating our tree, the boys had chosen to put candy canes on it. Then it came to me, why not put one on it for each of our two sons for each day until Christmas? When the last candy cane was left they knew the next day was Christmas. It didn't matter when we put up our tree we just counted the number of days left and adjusted.

Of course those first years, the bottom of the tree was a little heavy with the candy canes compared to the top where they couldn't reach, but what did it matter? It worked great and we started a new tradition at our house.

One year after they were gone from home, I had decided not to put to candy canes on the "fancy" tree. One of the boys stopped by, he told me point blank something was missing. Even with lace and bows, the candy canes were required decorations at our house, and I am so glad they remembered.

Source: My sons and I, 30 years ago.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

This brought tears to my eyes when I read one of your boys said something was missing! What a lovely moment that must have been! I'll bet you've had candy canes on the tree since them ;-) Gave you a thumbs up.

PS - I misplaced your email address so can you click my contact button and send again :-(

Thanks, and yes there are candy canes on our tree this year!

What a wonderful tradition!

Once, my daughter Sabrina and I were home bound, pretty broke, and no money for a tree.

I strung some old lights in the shape of a tree, from one nail to another across the front window, and hung some old ornaments on them.

We had some red and green cake decorations and we blew out the yokes of 3 dozen eggs, brushed glue on them, and rolled them in the decorations.

We took paperclips and unfolded them to use for hooks. It was the poorest Christmas we had ever had, but one of the best.

That Christmas Eve night, she looked up at me and asked "mommy, would your life be easier for you if I went to live with daddy"? and I replied "Yes, it would...but eaiser is almost never better, so I would rather have you with me than an esier life".

Since then, we have had times of lean and times of plenty, but we always had each other.

For me, people are the best present you can have.

This is a great way to teach Advent and so creative. I appreciate the traditional calendar but I also think that this is a great alternative. I bet that you are a great mom. So am I! So, great for us!

Advent calendar.
Making an Advent Calendar
Holidays and Parties Christmas TraditionsDecember 18, 2009
Printable advent calendar.
Printable Advent Calendars
Felt Candy Cane Ornament
Making a Felt Candy Cane Ornament
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Broken Cane Chair
Repairing Cane Chairs