Can You Freeze Celery?

Can you freeze celery and if so for how long?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Yes. I do it all the time. I wash, dry and chop the celery and freeze it in plastic bags. When I need some to cook with I can help my self. If you are not going to cook with it you better not freeze it because it will be limp when it thaws.

I rarely use celery fresh, so after I buy it and wash it. I chop it all up, saute the entire head then freeze in a bag in the freezer. When I want some for chicken/rice soup, just pull it out and knock some off, it will be frozen in a lump most likely. It keeps quite a while in the freezer 2-3 months at least.

I grow about 6 bunches of celery in my garden every year and I put the excess in the freezer to be used in soups and stews over the winter. Not good for salad. Just wash and remove as much moisture as possible, cut in small pieces, put in freezer container, will keep several months, enjoy!

I bo't a huge bunch of celery and wasn't using it fast enough. Since it was Fall and my baseboard heaters were coming on I cut the celery into 1/8" pieces and threaded them onto a long thread with a needle and hung them above the heater. I spaced them so none were touching each other. They were completely dry in about 4 days and took up no space at all in a sterile jar. After two days and again after that it's wise to check for moisture.

I rarely use celery but like to have it on hand when I impulsively want to make a soup. I discovered dried celery flakes and it's pretty powerful when added to a soup. My freezer space is at a premium so it works for me!

January 18, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze celery? If so, how and how long does it keep in the freezer?

By Deb from Long Prairie, MN

Answers:

Can You Freeze Celery?

I always freeze celery because I can't use it fast enough. I prepare it as if I were going to use it (wash and slice) then put it in Ziploc bags and put it in the freezer. I can scoop out as much as I want at a time for whatever. I've kept it for about 6 months at a time I think, maybe longer. It's always good. (06/07/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Can You Freeze Celery?

I agree with GlensMom, you must know that it is usable in cooked recipes, but not raw. (06/09/2010)

By dna53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Freezing Celery
Freezing Celery
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJanuary 18, 2011
Celery on White Background
Storing Celery
Windowsill Celery Hearts
Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 7:09:34 AM on 10.0.1.15 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.