Can You Freeze Celery?

By Sharon Rafferty 15 1

Can you freeze celery and if so for how long?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

Filter Sort

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

Yes. I do it all the time. I wash, dry and chop the celery and freeze it in plastic bags. When I need some to cook with I can help my self. If you are not going to cook with it you better not freeze it because it will be limp when it thaws.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By booklvr 1 27 Flag

I rarely use celery fresh, so after I buy it and wash it. I chop it all up, saute the entire head then freeze in a bag in the freezer. When I want some for chicken/rice soup, just pull it out and knock some off, it will be frozen in a lump most likely. It keeps quite a while in the freezer 2-3 months at least.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 1 1 Flag

I grow about 6 bunches of celery in my garden every year and I put the excess in the freezer to be used in soups and stews over the winter. Not good for salad. Just wash and remove as much moisture as possible, cut in small pieces, put in freezer container, will keep several months, enjoy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joan 2 167 Flag

I bo't a huge bunch of celery and wasn't using it fast enough. Since it was Fall and my baseboard heaters were coming on I cut the celery into 1/8" pieces and threaded them onto a long thread with a needle and hung them above the heater. I spaced them so none were touching each other. They were completely dry in about 4 days and took up no space at all in a sterile jar. After two days and again after that it's wise to check for moisture.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dorothy 1 124 Flag

I rarely use celery but like to have it on hand when I impulsively want to make a soup. I discovered dried celery flakes and it's pretty powerful when added to a soup. My freezer space is at a premium so it works for me!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Can You Freeze Celery?

Can you freeze celery? If so, how and how long does it keep in the freezer?

By Deb from Long Prairie, MN

Feedback:

RE: Can You Freeze Celery?

I always freeze celery because I can't use it fast enough. I prepare it as if I were going to use it (wash and slice) then put it in Ziploc bags and put it in the freezer. I can scoop out as much as I want at a time for whatever. I've kept it for about 6 months at a time I think, maybe longer. It's always good. (06/07/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Can You Freeze Celery?

I agree with GlensMom, you must know that it is usable in cooked recipes, but not raw. (06/09/2010)

By dna53

Stalks of Celery
Freezing Celery
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJanuary 18, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Stalks of Celery
Saving Money on Celery
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
Stalks of Celery
Freezing Celery
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:15:53 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings