Breaking the Code for Presents

Holiday Tradition: To keep the children out of the presents under the tree, my mother would make up a code for each person. She would put the code on the package instead of the name on the tag. Right after Thanksgiving we would be given the code. The first person to break the code would be allowed to open their presents first on Christmas Day. We had so much fun trying to break the code that we were never under the tree shaking presents.

By BarwickJ from Ottumwa, IA

Once we were old enough not to believe in Santa, my mama would write numbers on our Christmas gifts as she wrapped them and placed them around the tree. Everyone was free to shake the packages as much as they wanted because no one knew which numbers were for them until Christmas morning when Mama gave you your list of numbers.

Wow! Great Ideas!

Ha Ha! I had to laugh at this one because I did this one year when my children were little. They still tease me about it because I got mixed up during the tagging, and on Christmas morning, who knows who got what?! We had a great laugh though. :-)

Santa and his bag whispering hush.
Keeping Christmas Gifts a Secret
Holidays and Parties Christmas TraditionsDecember 8, 2005
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
framed felt and floss color chart
Making an Embroidery Floss and Felt Color Code Chart
washing machine
Maytag Washer Error Codes