Spare Change Your Car Ashtray

Since you kicked the cigarette habit, clean out that car ash tray and fill it with spare change. This way you'll always be ready for toll roads and car washes.

By Harm0ny

Just be careful that you don't get too much change in there. It can cause you to blow a fuse. Not a major problem if it's just your dome light or something, but still, it's easy to avoid. Use the [former] ashtray to collect some change, then fill up that piggy bank.

Be very careful doing this. My dad and through no fault of his own he was in an accident his truck ashtray packed full of change ended up all over the roadway. I might keep it in there but I'd probably put it more secure about once a week. Just my 2 cents.

I do two things with money in my car. My car has a little pull-out compartment designed for who-knows-what (no ash tray at all), but whenever I go through a drive-thru or something, I drop the coins in there. Once a month I pull it all out and remove all the change. It then goes into my piggy bank in the house.

Also, I keep a folder in my glove box containing all the pertinent things having to do with the car----registration, insurance, record of maintenance, etc. I also keep an envelope in there with $20 in it. This is my emergency fund for gas. I never keep more than that in there, but $20 will be enough to take me quite a ways in my car, usually until or past the next paycheck anyway.

Be aware that your spare change is a tempting item to petty thieves (usually pre and teenagers) who roam subdivisions and neighborhoods looking for things to steal from unlocked cars. Even if you habitually lock your car, your spouse may not, or you may forget.

If you keep change (here it's for parking) - keep in a concealed container. I always have to caution hubby about covering up stuff we have left in the car with a blanket or jacket! Luckily we have scooped out places in our card door(s) where change can be kept fairly out of sight.