Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Repairing Cat Scratches on a Leather Sofa

My cat has put some scratches on my leather sofa. Does anyone know how to cover these marks? Thanks.

By brenjean from Brampton, On

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Crystal Clara Clark09/21/2009

I looked at this and other websites to find a fast and inexpensive way to fix the little nicks and small tears on our black leather sofa. I didn't want my husband to see the damage our new kitten had done and was really worried that he'd notice right off the bat. I looked in our drawers in our house and found a black non permanent marker. In most small cases, your kitten or whatever, has scratched your leather just enough where you can see the small flap and a little bit of white, which is the backside of the leather.

If you take a small non perm. marker and slightly dot the white marks, and under the little flaps and wait about 1 minute. After letting air dry take a moist towel, napkin, whatever, and swipe it across the area 2 times. Trust me it works just fine. if you are a little worried, try a spot on the bottom back side you your leather and compare the result. This was fast easy and cheap. Also, its been weeks and my husband still hasn't said a word, that alone is proof. Good luck.

By Judi [17]04/17/2009

I used a dark paste shoe polish on my dark brown furniture. Worked good.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

I have a new brown leather sofa and a crazy cat who has scratched the heck out of the arm rest. Any ideas to make the scratches less visible? Amber

RE: Repairing Cat Scratches on Leather Sofa

We had a crazy cat too, and a brown leather sofa. I used Old English and wiped it on, but he scratched the side of the couch below the arm rest. We have to be careful that we don't touch it for a while afterwards and it doesn't last forever. Maybe you could make up a little bit of Rit dye to match the brown? The Old English makes the scratches less noticeable from a distance, but up close you can still see that it's scratched. Good luck! (08/23/2005)

By washburn6394

Try using paste shoe polish, the color of the couch. You can also cover scratches on wood furniture with shoe polish (paste/wax) kind. Try to match the color of paste with the color of the wood or leather. I used to do upholstery work and found this worked well. (09/04/2005)

By Anna from Maine

Try using a fine tipped felt pen, as close in color as possible. On light colored leather use a lighter color than the leather. To stop kitty from further scratching get a small spray bottle filled with water and each time you see him scratching anywhere he should not, SQUIRT, right in the head. After a few times of that, he'll stop. Be diligent. (08/13/2007)

By Been there and done that.

Our cat has clawed our brand new ivory leather chair, using it as a scratching post. She is banished to the outdoors for now. She has made little open flaps in the leather, a couple of 1 mm long or slightly bigger, just like open skin wounds.

I have read articles on this site about using shoe polish etc to cover these marks, but I don't think this will work. The color is not the problem, I would just like to be able to heal these little cuts. I'm tempted to use a tiny drop of Crazy Glue on each, but I'm sure that is NOT the right thing to do. Help!

John from Gibsons, BC

I would recommend you call a local upholsterer or leather shop and ask them before you try anything. To prevent the kitties from scratching at it in the future, you can purchase sprays that deter them from hanging out in certain areas (like leather sofas). Read the instructions on the can and, once again, double check with the upholsterer and/or leather shop to ensure the product won't damage leather. (01/15/2008)

By LuvMyGingerKids

This product looks like it will help. I haven't tried it myself though.

http://www.tearmender.com/ (01/16/2008)

By Wendy

Try this site which gives repair details of these problems. Do not use glue as this can go very wrong if not done correctly. http://www.lttsolutions.net/catscratches.asp (01/26/2008)

By Leather Agony Aunt

Go to www.leatherrenew.com and you can order a product that will fill small imperfections. Then you can order the dye to put over it. They are a big help at that company for the "do it yourself-ers". (03/25/2008)

By Lynn

I have new leather furniture as well. My cat loved it. He made some pretty good scratches on it. I got on line and found a pretty neat solution. My cat goes outside so I knew declawing wasn't an option. I ordered these soft plastic claws that you place over your cats nails. It sounds crazy but it works. I ordered bright green. The fake claws are so soft that your cat can jump and scratch all he wants and never scratch our furniture. (09/26/2008)

By alewis

Thanks for all the suggestions on repair. As for prevention, a cat tree liberally sprinkled with catnip helps, as does having the furniture out of the path of the speedway your cat uses to run around the house. Loud noises when cat gets on furniture very helpful, too. (12/04/2008)

By TR Beck in DC