Food Warning for the Holidays

Do not feed your dog these raw meats. Ever!:

Repeatedly adding raw eggs to a dog's diet can cause a deficiency of the vitamin biotin, which can lead to dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), loss of hair, and poor growth.

Some raw fish can cause a deficiency of the vitamin thiamine. Signs of a thiamine deficiency include anorexia (complete loss of appetite), abnormal posture, weakness, seizures, and even death.

Raw meats may contain parasites and bacteria and do not contain a proper balance of nutrients if fed alone. Although meat is a source of protein, it has very low levels of calcium, a mineral dogs require for proper bone and tooth development. If large quantities of raw meat are fed over time, skeletal problems may develop.

Raw liver, fed daily in large quantities, can cause vitamin A toxicity in dogs.

Small soft bones (such as pork chop or chicken bones) should never be given to your dog, as they may splinter and lodge in his mouth or throat.

Source: Purina Pet Food Company

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Regarding Feeding Raw, you need to do some research about the BARF diet and the feeding raw concept in general. Look at the link you gave to validate your comments: Purina, a kibble dog food manufacturer, who has corn as the first ingredient of many of the dog foods they manufacture.

I have two dachshunds and a great dane; I feed them a predominantly raw diet, with the approval of my vet. You need to do your research and then made your decisions.

If you do stick with kibble dog food, that is fine, but don't do Kibbles & Bits or other foods without checking to see the ingredients. You do not want to see corn or grain as the first ingredient; you want to see chicken, beef, lamb, or fish, but not by-products of them. By-products are junk ground up and processed, that can include chicken feet and beaks, hoofs, any part of animal carcass that cannot be processed for human use.

Yes, the higher end dog foods, such as Fromm, Merrick, Blue Buffalo may be more expensive. However, in the long run, your dog will have a much healthier diet resulting in less trips to the vet, smaller stools, etc. And, it is not wrong to feed raw,, provided you do it properly.

Research, research, research.

Of course Purinia wants you to feed kibble... that is all they sell. I personally don't like to see anything posted when the source is a company that sells it. Sorry don't agree with the post but you must do your research on any food you feed your animals.

While this post doesnt give a full picture, I as a long time raw feeder cannot disagree with it, in spite of the corporate source. I am feeding cats and there are dietary differences between cats and dogs. Egg whites dont belong in a pets food. Yolks are great. Raw fish is not a natural food for dogs or cats.

Raw meats alone are not an adequate diet for dogs or cats (or humans for that matter). Raw liver, especially poultry liver, and cause an overdose of vitamin A quickly and needs to be limited. I feed one chicken liver a week to my cat. About bones, I grind them (raw) for my cats food. Feeding them whole to a dog would be a very bad idea. I agree with the poster who recommended more research, but all in all not a bad post.

Pets HealthNovember 30, 2010
Hacker sitting streaming data
Warning Signs for Internet Scams
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
dashboard lights
Causes of a Check Engine Light Staying On