Recipe for Fried Fruit Pies

Does anyone know an easy way to make home-made fried fruit pies?

By meme7_2000 from Marked Tree, AR

You can probably find an authentic recipe in past Southern Living magazines. I've found, though, that most recipes call for using dried fruit (such as peaches or apples) which I didn't want. What I came up with isn't the same as the fried pies we used to eat at family reunions in N.C. but it's a fast and easy substitute, yummy, and I make them with fresh peaches for breakfast. If you're using a hard fruit such as apples, the fruit would have to be precooked to the desired tenderness (or use canned pie filling).

First, make your filling by thinly slicing fruit and adding sugar and flavoring (such as cinnamon) to your liking. Next, I use a can of Pillsbury Refrigerator Biscuits (not the Grands) for the pastry. Using a floured rolling pin and surface, I roll each biscuit into a flat circle, using as few strokes as possible until they're about 7 inches wide. Put small amount of filling on half of circle, fold over, moisten edges with water, seal together by pressing edges with fork tines and gently place in skillet containing about 1/2 " of hot oil (I just use canola oil). Be careful it doesn't get too hot or biscuits will burn or not cook all the way through. Turn pies over once so both sides become golden brown. Drain; sprinkling with powdered sugar is optional.

You'll have to experiment with the amount of filling and heat of oil (type of skillet used will affect heat and timing), but even the rejects are tasty for the cook to nibble on while making more! Good luck. Sorry I don't have an exact recipe.

This is my old family recipe from Tennessee. Make your own crust. The bought crust does not seem to work as well. Make a lot because it takes a lot. You really need to use dried fruit because that is how the old timers made it and it fills the crust without leaving holes. Stew the fruit in a little water or apple juice untill it is soft. I cut the fruit into small pieces with kitchen sizzors. When the fruit is softened, add a little butter some sugar and some corn starch or flour to thicken it. Cut rounds using a saucer for a guide. Add a spoonful of the fruit, depending on the size of your saucer and fold over. Use the tines of a fork to seal the edge and trim to an even edge then poke each pie with the fork to let out the steam. Heat one half inch oil, lard or shortening. I like to use my electric skillet but the old timers used a cast iron one. Lay the pies in the fat and fry until one side is brown then turn. Cool on a rack. There really are no short cuts to perfect fried pies. I can tell you that mine are a hit everytime I make them. At Christmas I make them with mincemeat from a jar. These are wonderful.

Baking Fruit Pies
Baking Fruit Pies
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Pies Other FruitSeptember 12, 2010
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
🎉
🎄