Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Selling a Doll Collection

Porcelain baby doll.

I have a variety of porcelain dolls, from babies to Shirley Temple and would like to know how I would go about selling them? They all have authenticity and numbers on them.

By Mary from Brookline, MA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jillian [1]12/18/2010

Easy. Post them on eBay.

By Anonymous [848]12/18/2010

I agree with an archived post made by MisMachado:

If they are really collectibles and of vintage, try Etsy.com. They have some strict guidelines, but are great to deal with, and a lot less expensive than eBay is. MisMachado (10/16/2010)

Here are questions related to Selling a Doll Collection.

Question: Selling a Doll Collection

How can I go about selling my porcelain dolls?

By Maceo

Question: Selling a Doll Collection

How do I find a buyer for my mother's dolls? Some are old royal family dolls such as Diana and Charles wedding dolls. She also has some old presidents, and more.

By Pearl

Most Recent Answer

By Susan Morson [1]10/18/2011

Check e-bays "completed sales" for similar dolls. You'll learn what the doll sold for, how long it took to sell, and lots of other valuable info. There is also a doll museum in Brunswick, GA. You could google it and check with them. Sorry, I can't remember the name!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Selling a Doll Collection

I have close to 250+ dolls, some from late 1950s to 1980s. I have some Barbies. When my grandmother passed away they were left to me. Some are marked and I have checked on my computer for some prices and the ones marked are priced good, but lots are not marked. I'm wanting to sell all for one price. How do I do that?

Brooke from Springfield, MO

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

I am hardly an expert, but the prices on these items can vary wildly depending on several factors including: condition (best if in mint condition or in the original box), rarity, the market (there was a real Barbie mania a few years ago which drove up prices). There is also a market for the little accessories, doll houses, cars, etc.

I would suggest you try to find a Barbie collectors' group in your area and contact them for some info. I also believe that there would be info in some doll/Barbie doll magazines. But I think the overall market for collectibles is down due to bad market conditions, and people I know are holding onto things until prices pick up.

If you want to sell the collection all in one piece (you probably would get less overall than selling them one by one) try contacting a doll store in your area. Many of them buy vintage doll collections. (02/18/2009)

By pamphyila

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

I had been slowly selling off the doll collection, which I had inherited. You'll make a lot more money if you sell 1 piece at a time or in small batches.

What I have done is take what I want to get rid of in a tote bag to both antique shows and doll shows and just mention that you have some dolls with you, you would like to know how much they're worth and you are interested in selling them, you will be surprised how fast you can get rid of them. Then there's always the newspaper Craig's list and eBay. (02/18/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

You have gotten some great advice. Mine is fast nickles are better than slow quarters, and many people can't afford the whole pie. That is why they have a slice. Divide the dolls into like categories; maker, brand, year, or whatever. See what others are selling them for on ebay, then sell accordingly. If you have as many as you say, you could announce it in the local paper or on Craig's List that you will be showing and selling these dolls at a sale, then dress them up and display them well. Most doll collectors will flock to your door, with cash in hand.

Take some nice shots of several in each photo, giving you the most exposure for your four free shots on Craig's List. In other words, don't just shoot one of four dolls, shoot four of four or six dolls, giving the viewer a nice variety. If you don't sell them all the first time, do it again. You can renew an ad on Craig's List once every 7 days (I think) so keep it fresh if you are selling them a piece at a time. Good luck. (02/18/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Archive: Selling a Doll Collection

I have a large collection of dolls: Effanbee, Barbie, and other collections. I would like to sell them. I also have a Michael Jackson, Princess Diana, her flower girl, and Fergie, to mention a few. Can anyone give me some advice for the best method for selling them?

By Pucci from GA

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

I'm sorry to say that doll collections, etc. are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for them. Place a free ad on Craigslist, or try selling the collection on eBay. And if you still don't have any luck in selling them, donate them to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a tax deducible receipt for income tax purposes. (02/01/2010)

By MCW

Archive: Selling a Doll Collection

I want to sell my dolls. I have a big selection. Included are Leonardo and Knightsbridge dolls. Any suggestions?

By Tracey J from west Midlands

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

Check your dolls out on eBay. If anyone has any of them listed, you'll get a good idea how much the dolls are worth. Dolls are a great item on eBay, too. Consider quality, condition, demand, age, and do your homework. You'll learn a lot.

You'll be charged a listing fee (sometimes it's free and you'll often be able to add as many as 12 pictures of each doll, and that also might be free. When (and if) your doll is sold, you'll be charged a Final Value Fee based on how much it sells for.

If you are paid through PayPal (which is the safest), you'll be charged a fee by PayPal, but it's safe and usually very fast, so you're able to ship your doll right away. You'll have to be willing to pack and ship in a timely fashion and sometimes that can take up a lot of time.

It sounds a lot more involved and difficult than it really is. To get started, just contact the sales department of eBay, and someone will be happy to help you. They have people trained to guide you through every aspect of buying or selling on eBay.

Good Luck to you.

Pookarina (06/15/2010)

By Songwritter

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

Collections such as yours are getting harder and harder to get rid of, let alone make much of a profit. Because of the advancing age of the collectors, they are looking to "down size" and the younger people just aren't interested. They do not have sentimental ties to such items and are the generation of wanting "new". (06/17/2010)

By Zuster56

Archive: Selling a Doll Collection

I have almost 100 porcelain dolls I need to sell. I used to store them in my attic and had the few I really cherished on display in my house. I downgraded to a smaller house and have no room to store them. I am still keeping the ones I really cherish on display, but need to sell the others.

I did the research on what they are worth and they range from $45.00 to over $100 depending on the doll. Many are Ashton Drake. I tried eBay, but they did not get to the reserve so they did not sell. I listed many with the reserve to be almost $10 under the value.
Thanks in advance.

By Melissa from Uncasville, CT

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

Have you tried Craig's List? I have bought a few things off there. You might want to Google dolls or doll collectors. Perhaps there is a buyer lurking on the net. Set up a Paypal account and don't ship till the money goes in. (07/24/2010)

By MartyD

RE: Selling a Doll Collection

Sorry to say, but just regular porcelain dolls do not sell for very much, if at all. They may sell better in October or early November. eBay is the best selling place, but some things do very well on Craigslist. Sometimes Craigslist depends on where you live as people want to see the item locally.

Good luck. (07/29/2010)

By cybergrannie