Removing Sulfur from a Well Water System

Our house is currently on a well system. We have sulfur in our water, which gives it a rotten egg smell. At this time, we have a system from Eco Water that uses food-grade hydrogen peroxide to reduce the sulfur in the water. This system was in the house when we bought it 3 plus years ago. We are thinking of replacing this unit and was wondering if anyone has any input on other systems available for this and how they work. We are trying to get rid of the need for the hydrogen peroxide.

Mary from Wilmington, IL

Are you sure you don't just need a new tank? When our tank was shot, our water smelled like sulfur too. It was due to water staying in the tank and not getting pumped out like it should. Before you invest in water treatments, maybe you should have your tank checked first.

I had the same problem when I built a new home on new land, You need a carbon filter system. They are not cheap but work perfect and last a long time. I know you live in a different state, but if you call Talley Water Treatment in Greensboro, NC he will tell you all you need to know. This is very rare in our state and he was the only person that cured our problem and was honest. He also has a website. www.talleywater.com. This will solve your problem.

We did ours on the cheep, by using undersink sized units about 15" long, and we put three of those in a row. The filter is changed every week in the first one, every month or so in the second one, and whenever for the third one. We still like a Brita pitcher for drinking water, but we never smell that sulfur any more when running tap water. The filters were cheapest, and that was the deciding factor.

Sulfur can get into your water from a variety of sources. It also occurs in a wide range of concentrations.

Carbon can only remove it in low concentrations and is completely worthless if it is coming from sulfur bacteria.

Most likely the original installation was done by knowledgeable professionals that know and understand your local needs for removing sulfur. I would continue using the current system if it is doing the job. Hydrogen peroxide is a good, safe method of doing the job.

Kirt

Certified Water Specialist IV

We moved into our house two years ago and every house in our neighborhood has strong sulphur smell in the water. It absolutely made me sick. We had to dig a new well and after a couple months, that well turned up with sulphur smell too so it is in the water source. Neighbors of mine use carbon filters bought at the warehouse stores but the smell is so strong that they have to be changed often and leads to more expense. I was so intolerant of the smell that we invested in an expensive mixing system from Culligan that uses bleach to kill the sulphur then filters through carbon to remove the bleach. It was a Godsend. If you are using something that works, stick with it. Cheaper filters will cost you in the long run if you have to change them more frequently. Good luck!

Hi,

We have a well that has a high iron content which creates a hydrogen sulfide "rotton egg smell" There isnt much we can do about it besides shock chlorinating the well. Now we are dropping concentrated swimming pool chlorine tablets in the well on a regular basis and home testing the chlorine levels. Wish there was a better solution

When we were running our four-house chicken farm, the best and cheapest method we found was peroxide. It kills WAY more bacteria, etc. than other water systems. If I were you, I'd try to make it work.

I had an sickening level of sulfur in our new home well. I had a Hydrogen peroxide system and carbon filter installed with a seperate reverse osmosis system for drinking water. Expensive (around $2400 plus H2O2 refils every six months ($124) but it works awesome. It does effect the water if you are a Homebrewer though, trying to figure that one out.

I purchased a new water heater. The kind with the heat pump. Expensive but supposed to save on electricity in the long run. I never had the smell until I had the new water heater installed. Perhaps it was a coincidence but that is when it started and it is just the hot water?

Faucet running in a kitchen that uses well water.
Removing Sulfur Smell from a Well Water System
Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousJuly 18, 2008
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Cleaning Well Water Stains from a Bathtub
🎄