Covering Glass on Doors

My sister's home has a double front door with glass in the upper halves, leading into the great room. The back of the great room is all windows and french doors. Therefore, at night you can see through the whole house. She wants to cover the front door glass but cannot drill holes in the doors or use anything that will stick to the wood (so says my brother-in-law). There is no room for those tension rods inside the glass section. What in the world can I suggest to her to use?

By Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Paint: put it on with a brush or sponge and if she wants it gone, it will scrape back off with a razor blade.

I have a glass window in my door to the garage. I don't like how you can see through to the mess (of course, it isn't spotless!). So I bought a roll of translucent plastic that you adhere to the window. I got one that looks like rice paper but there are all sorts of different types. You spray it with water and then press out the bubbles. It is not supposed to use any adhesive or harm the windows. I will post a photo when I get it done. Maybe even today as it has been in the garage for over a week. Yes, definitely not spotless. :)

You can buy stuff in craft stores to brush on that gives a frosted look. If a person wants to you can even buy patterns to stick on and frost around, leaving some areas with a clear glass design.

If he won't let her make holes or stick stuff on I doubt he'll let her paint the glass. My sister has a west facing picture window and she has a roll up screen hanging on the edge of her house to help with the sun heat. Maybe your sister could do something like this. It wouldn't stop somebody from walking by and looking in if they went behind the blind but cars driving by couldn't see in.

You can get a small bottle of the liquid used for faux stained glass. You want the clear most likely, and apply it as you like. (Non permanent so if you don't like it just remove!) I did this to a friend's front door and just used my finger to make swirls. But you can apply with a paint brush and design a pattern with toothpick, stipple brush...be creative, This will blurr the images but still let light through. You can apply second layer if needed for more coverage. Good luck!

Many thanks to all of you for some very good suggestions! We ended up using Cairo's suggestion and it looks pretty darn good. Again, thank all of you for taking the time to respond.

What you need is adhesive-free static cling window film. Think of the little UV stickers that come on new pairs of sunglasses. They cling to the surface of the glasses without glue and remove easily with no mess. They now make versions of this material meant for windows, mirrors, and other smooth surfaces.

Home improvement stores like Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's etc. carry a convenient but limited selection, but a simple Google search (try "window cling film") will turn up several companies that now make window film in hundreds of styles. They have everything from simple frosted glass, to stained glass , to art deco , to country folk art designs, to various faux beveled designs and more. Some of the online companies I have seen are now also making cling film boarders and decorative corner cutouts for those who don't need to cover the whole window.

They are great for renters because they go on and come off in minutes. They can be used for privacy, to diffuse sunlight, for insulation, to hide a bad view, or simply for a decorative touch. Hope this helps!

You could have put up a light curtain, using self-adhesive velcro.

At walmart they sell curtin rods that are magnetic. I have a door that has glass at the top of it. I bought a valance that matches my decor and hung it on the rod and stuck it to the door. On nice days when you want to look outside you just simply take it off and stick it in a closet. also great for renters you can take the rod with you.

I used bubble wrap as insulation in the winter on my basement door but decided to leave it there year round because it allows the sunlight in but also gives us privacy. I sprayed water on the window and stuck it on the glass. So far, it has stayed up for six months. From a distance, it looks good. People who see it don't even realize that's it's bubble wrap.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsMay 20, 2009
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Man Cleaning Glass Oven Door
Cleaning Glass Oven Doors
🎄