Cell Phone Provider Advice

Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced cell phone provider? I want it mainly for on the road emergencies. I don't get hardly any incoming calls and only make a few outgoing calls a month.

Thanks for any advice,
Rose Mary from Jackson, MI

I use t-mobile, PREPAID. For $100 per YEAR plus a phone, which usually has rebates when you purchase it, I have 1000 minutes of cell phone useage. You can pay less for less minutes and months, but generally it won't be less than $9.00 per month, by my calculations. Still, I control when and how I "spend" my minutes, and it's way less than any monthly contract program. YOu can buy phones and minutes direct, Sam's Club also has good deals on them, better than some other retail stores.

Try one of the pre-paid services. I use Virgin Mobile, but any of them should give you what you need. It costs $15.00 for every 90 days, 25 cents for the first 10 calls each day then 10 cents after that. You can buy cards almost anywhere or set up for automatic renewal.

cingular and trac fone are good ones also.You can buy them at Wal-mart or any discount store or radio shack or some Dollar Generals and buy more minutes as needed.

I use US Cellular. They are great. I started it when it was Primco. 19.95 a month for 100 minutes. No charge for incoming calls. I never go over my minutes. Use only for emergency and once and awhile when I want. Also can call long distance any time day or night as long as you don't go over 100 minutes .You can go over you just get charged more. Since they changed to US Cellular my rate has stayed the same. I think new customers are now charged 24.95 a month. You would have to check for sure. NO problem with cutoffs or no reception. Service is great.

Net10 is the best deal for you. It's a prepaid service that costs 10 cents per minute. We did research for a cell phone for my husband about 6 months ago and we have the same needs as yours. Net10 was the cheapest, including the phone. Some other plans eventually get down to 10 cents per minute, but you usually have to pay 25 cents per minute for a certain number of minutes first. The phone is very basic, so that's what makes it inexpensive. Other services have fancier phones, but they cost more.

We paid about $30 for a phone and 300 minutes good for 60 days. We didn't use up the 300 minutes, so they rolled over when we signed up for one year of service and 1500 minutes for $150. We aren't even close to using those up yet, so we know they are going to last all year.

So, for 17 months of service (60 days + 1 year), we paid $180 (30 + 150). That's $10.59 a month for the first year for cell phone service. It will go up a little next time-- $150 for one year is $12.50 per month. But that's still a bargain.

My whole family now has STI phones. Check online for the best offer, and they also have some at Staples. Ours had a total-rebate phone, then you buy minutes. The service costs .10 a day + .12 a minute days and .10 a minute nights and weekends. (All of this comes off the card you buy.) So if you only use it for emergencies it costs a little over $3 a month. Mine has never been more than $5 a month even when travelling. Uses Sprint network so it works everywhere I've tried.

Some other services don't charge that dime a day, but they do charge for the phone or require that you buy $100 at a time or the minutes expire. On this, no expiration, you can buy $25 cards, so I think it's a great deal. You can keep your phone number from another service. Text messages cost a nickel.

I have used Tracfone for the past 5 years. For anyone that uses it only occasionally I recommend it. You can check out their web site or your local department stores.

go with a "To Go" or pay as you go service. that's what we use. you're not stuck with a one year or 2 year plan. you purchase minutes as you use them, in increments as small as $10 dollar amounts, plus the cost of a phone. T-Mobile was the best deal that we found.

I think you should find the provider that has the best reception for your area. No matter how much or how little you pay for service, if you don't have good reception when you get ready to use your phone, it doesn't do you any good.

I have a TracFone. For less then a hundred dollars a year you can have great service (even in the U.P.)and a good phone. You can get it at Rite Aid or Wal Mart. But purchasing online sometime gets you a better deals. Good Luck

I have used TracFone for the last 2-3 years. I have no complaints except the phone is kind of heavy, but I can deal with that. They have a deal right now where you get 500 minutes and 1 year of service for $100. I'm not sure if the phone is included, but I would look for a plan like that with the phone included.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my cell phone provider request. The response has been tremendous. I am going to start looking at the ones that you recommended. Thank you so much, Rose Mary

umm i have a question if you have a tracfone can your parents check you text messaging online or get a copy of it?? thnx..

I would think your better off with a pay as you go. Try your local phone company. A lot of them have this. Why pay a monthly bill, taxes, etc for something you never use. The cheapest I have seen is 29.99, by the time they hit you in all the extra charges your looking at 40.00 . Go with a prepaid.

Business Woman Using Cell Phone
Cell Phone Service Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews Electronics Cell Phone PlansMarch 30, 2007
Cleaning a Cell Phone
Cleaning a Cell Phone
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
🎄