Furniture Placement and Color Schemes for Combo Rooms

I have a sort of L-shaped living/dining, with an open kitchen and a corner fireplace. In spite of trying 2 different furniture placement settings, I'm still not happy with how it looks. It would be great if you experts could give me some tips, as well as advise about a colour scheme, since it's pretty blah. I'm completely blank.

Here's some info:
Since there's no wall big enough for a 3 seat sofa, I opted to buy 2 loveseats and a chair (espresso leather). I also have two glass side tables and a coffee table (which have been put away because of a little person in the house.) In the dining, I have a round glass table with 4 leather chairs.

The walls are a light beige. Floors are hardwood in chocolate brown, and the corner fireplace is huge with lots of space up top. Kitchen has chocolate brown cupboards, and dark grey/brown countertops. The appliances are stainless steel.

Please help!

By Ceebs

room drawing

Think in terms of areas, i.e.: a conversation area in front of the fireplace, a sofa table or low buffet behind the sofa set parallel to the fireplace. Don't put the furniture along the wall, except a chair or two with one glass topped table between and use the walls for a display of colorful paintings or prints.

Pick up colors from these as accents--pillows, some floor cushions for the young ones, etc. Use the walls as display areas rather than a place for furniture. With all those browns, pick an aqua blue, or several blues--keep window treatments matching the walls, but put color into accent pieces that can be easily changed. Good luck. Post what you have decided--I am curious.

I think you need one of the love seats to separate the kitchen area from the fireplace area. While it's tempting to put it on an angle with the fireplace, that would take up too much space, so I would put it parallel with the kitchen and then put another one or two chairs on an opposite area to create an L shape, hope that makes sense. (so, when sitting on the first couch, your back would be to the dishwasher). Then how about a built in seating nook under the window across from the fireplace to create a smaller sitting area there?

Try using this website:

I use it everytime my husband & I want to re-arrange our furniture.

Please place the sofas in line with the fireplace, one facing and the other at a ninety degree angle to that. I would choose a bright color for the fireplace wall and accent with another color added. Either place the tv atop the mantle or place a really nice painting the width of the fire place, if you do this choose your colors from this. Use long curtains in a pattern with those colors, your leather sofas need colors to keep them from looking blah. An area rug would also be nice in a pattern if you don't use a painting or if you use solid curtains.

Another place to post your question that is really wonderful is and click on "decorating" then "all decorating" and finally "rate your space". Good luck.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Room Color SchemesJuly 27, 2010
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Beautiful antique credenza.
Caring for Antique Furniture
Modern laundry room with front load washer,dryer, and ironing board.
Laundry Room Paint Color Advice