Living The Good Life

Frugal? I have been "wealthy" yet savvy enough to ALWAYS save 10% of my salary. I had stretch limo with driver plus two Cadillac Opera coupes, a big city condo downtown, two beach front condos for vacations on the Pacific Ocean, mink coats, a box at the polo grounds, CEO of a successful business, never wanted for anything. And yes, I got hit by the stock market drop just like everyone else. NOW, at 80, I have sold all my property, gave my furniture to Goodwill and relocated across the country to a 400 square foot mini penthouse downtown rental, elegantly furnished with thrift store items, walking everywhere and riding public transportation, What a fun thing to do! I have never been happier.

I suppose my "new" friends think I am "barely making it" because I live on a budget of $750 per month and and LOVIN' it because it is a challenge! Most people do not realize the fun of recycling, the "IN" thing to do.

I moved to a town dedicated to that purpose. Thrift shops have Ralph Lauren, Jones of New York, Eddy Bauer, NYDJ, Gloria Vanderbilt. Lots of NEW name brand clothes are donated to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. and I dress just as well as when I was "wealthy" but having a lot more fun seeking out these bargain treasures.

My extra money goes to buy Warren Buffet stock each month and I am enjoying being free of material things and responsibilities, a load off my shoulders. Money in the bank can give you peace of mind these days of uncertain economy. No worries, no bankruptcy, no credit card debt, no repossessions, no home upkeep or maintenance, no vehicle expenses, yet I can have five-star restaurants whenever I want, theater and music at the nearby university,

Life is great but I am greater since I dropped my materialistic life and began the thrill of the search for thrift shop bargains. I buy new items 99% of the time and giggle all the way home at winning this hunt in today's economy. I am glad I traveled the world for 50 years and got rid of the itch to impress other people. POINT? I matured! I am content, finally.

By Avis from Boulder CO

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

This is an inspiration to all those struggling to hang on to things that just are not important. The most important of them being what others think of us!

It is also great to see you enjoying your life so much, 50 is looming for me, but you have shown there is so much more to get out of life still before me. Thanks!

You have such a good attitude! You go girl! It is so wonderful to hear from someone who views life as a welcome challenge!

Sounds like you had a wonderful life and are still doing so.

Good for you!

I love, love, love your attitude. We all need more of what you are doing! Hope I am that excited about saving bucks and winning the game of treasures! Ha ha

Thanks for your frugal tips. I am going to take you up on buying Warren Buffet Stocks. Do you invest on your own? How would I go about doing so? I have been blessed because we tithe at least 10% of our gross income. Savings is a must.

Thanks!

Donnad