Substitutes for Cafeteria Food While Visiting the Hospital

My mother is in a hospital 2 hours from her home, my father is with her. Eating in the cafeteria twice a day gets very expensive, any tips for this situation?

Thanks,
Debbie

There are a few churches that offer food for people in hospital - especially for family members that the patients will be in the hospital for a long term illness. Check out the local churches or food banks or food kitchens.

I know our church provides food for the people that have patients in the icu areas of hospitals. That is a need that should be addressed to the local communities because hospital stays for families can be expensive (parking, food, time off from work, etc.).

Maybe each time a family member or friend visits the hospital, they could bring one or two homemade dishes that are easily reheatable. The nurses would probably let your Father refrigerate them and use their microwave to re-heat when he is hungry.

If they don't allow this, they should at least incorporate something similar to accommodate others in your Father's situation.

Healing thoughts to your Mother, Debbie, and blessings to you and your family.

There should be no reason your dad can't brown bag it. 9 times out of 10 there is a microwave at the nurses station. My guess is if they are a nice staff they would be more than happy to heat up one of the take along dinners that are on the market for him. Most cafe's have microwaves in the cafe itself so he can take his meal down there and nuke it there.

If you father eats and orders from a menu, order more than he can eat and eat what he doesn't. Years ago my daughter was in the hospital and that's what I did. I never had to buy a meal and she was in there about a week.

Pack a bag with granola bars, fruit, peanut butter with crackers, bottled water, etc. Or throw a small cooler in the back of the car for perishables.

Some facilities will let you order a guest tray, can't hurt to ask.

In 2006 when DH was in and out of the hospital most of the year I found myself in the same situation. He was on different floors for different problems. In one area the nurses saved trays for me when patients checked out. My sons and one dtr in law brought meals to me and this same dtr in law went online and did a site search at the hospital where DH was and found a discount card which offered discounts on parking and cafeteria food. This is not an advertised card. Someone in your family needs to inquire about it. Maybe something like that is available at your hospital. I agree with the other folks that you should check with the nurses, hospital social workers and local churches. There is help out there somewhere.

Maybe you could talk to the nurses or the hospital social worker to make arrangements for food for your dad. There are often extra trays sent up to the floor that go uneaten, because the patient has been discharged.

As said in another reply, there may be a charitable organization willing to help, as well. But I bet if the floor nurses were aware of your dad's need, they might be more than happy to make sure he is fed!

Alot of times we dont have fridges for people to put stuff in and alot of hospitals wont allow it. but ask to speak to the chaplin for meal tickets. also I dont eat at work because the food is too expensive and not as good. I have to admit I eat at Mcdonalds on the $1 menu and I have to admit I like subway. there are also hamburger helper meals now that dont need to be put in the fridge and you just add water to cook. Hope this helps Anna

Most all hospitals will give free or discounted vouchers also parking passes.

I have at times brought a small rolling cooler with my meals in it. If I was staying a couple days (sometimes they let me) I can keep everything cold with those dollar store frozen packs.

I think it would be a good idea as previously mentioned to shop at some point in the week for cereal, muffins, fruits, bottled drinks etc for his breakfasts. Same for lunch, sandwich fixings, condiments, snacks he enjoys, pickles, olives and a half gallon of milk. All dry goods can go in one tote bag and the cold in a cooler with ice. Ask about a one or 4 cup coffee maker to borrow from friends if you don't own one and set it up somewhere in the room for tea or coffee. Simply bring sugar in a small tupperware, don't forget some silverware, paper goods, and his favorite coffee mug!

Also if Dad is staying overnights he should bring comfortable slippers, magazines and books to read and his own pillow to be more comfortable in the roll in cot they provide for family to stay.

A little thoughtful packing can keep all of these items contained in a neat orderly fashion in an obscure corner of the room, out of everyone's way.

God Bless!

Lunch from Home
Alternatives to Cafeteria Food
Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 31, 2008
push pins on a bulletin board
Substitutes for Push Pins
two dogs sniffing noses
Introducing Your Dog to Visiting Dogs
Mom Decorating Hospital Room for Daughter
Decorating Your Hospital Room
A signed heart as a hospital present.
Hospital Gift Ideas
🎄
🍂