These are my pretty lupines that I finally got established this year. The gazing ball in the background is made from a bowling ball and glass 1/2 balls and glue. It does not break as easy as the regular gazing balls!

By laniegirl from Iowa

Looks pretty, how do you make it? Iowa here too

Make the ball you mean? I take a bowling ball, clean it off with alcohol, then you can either paint or let it the color of your ball (it is much easier to leave it the color the ball is) and then glue on those 1/2 glass balls that you can buy at the $ store. I used GE clear silicone window and door caulk. Squeeze on a little area, glue them on and work around the ball. I find it works well to position the ball on the top of a 3# coffee can while working. I would do half the ball one time, let dry overnight and then do the other. They have a tendency to want to slide off the ball if you try to do it all at once. Also, check with your local bowling alley, I got mine for free.

Editor's Note: Here is a craft project that we have previously posted on ThriftyFun that has step by step instructions for making a gazing globe like this:

Hi there, I have done this project also, I was given the old ball for free , from our bowling alley. A couple of suggestions I have is glue a few marbles and then tape them down to keep them from sliding around, I did small amounts at a time, and also make sure you buy quite a bit of marbles at one time, I bought frosted, pearl white and clear and ran out towards the bottom of the ball and was not able to find more of the same colors of marbles, and still have an unfinished project , it does look good though, I just can't wait to get it outside!

Oh yes, forgot to mention, I think I bought 6 bags of stones at the $ store. Yes, you could tape them for a bit to get them to hold. I didn't have much problem with mine though. It is important to get the ball really clean, then the caulk will stick better. Also, if you do an area with the caulk, and let it sit a bit, it "tacks up" and they stick better.

lupine in yard
Growing Lupine
Photos GardenJune 23, 2009