How Do I Dry Clean an Area Rug?

How do I dry clean a bedroom rug?

By Nancy from Wood Ridge, NJ

Look in the phone book or online for a rug/carpet cleaning company in your area. Often, oriental rug shops will know of a good, reputable cleaner.

I don't know how big the rug is or what it's made of. I know some people will be shocked at what I'm about to say, but we had a small area rug that needed cleaning. We paid $50 for the rug on clearance at a furniture store. It originally sold for $250. We have two cats and a dog and kids eating in the front room hence food spills. Plus the dog always took his food to the rug to eat. I'd tried carpet shampoos, etc., and it never ever got really clean. I was desperate for a clean rug and was ready to throw this one out.

Finally, I vacuumed it and my husband and our teenage boys rolled the rug up onto a long 2 x 4 and loaded it into the pickup and took it to our local car wash. He sprayed the rug with soap and then rinsed it. It was a bear to load it back into the truck. But once it was home, they spread the rug out and let it air dry out in the sun for several days.

Now it looks like new.

Remember, we ready to throw the rug out. It will depend on what kind of chance you want to take with your rug.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceMarch 4, 2011
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs