Preparing for an Emergency

Are you prepared for an emergency? Here are the most used and needed items you need in case of an emergency.

• Be prepared for almost every emergency with lots of canned food items. You should also store water and a hand can opener with the food. Make sure you have meats that are canned as they give you energy.

• Have an alternate heat source available should you lose your electricity.

• Keep a first aid kit ready at all times. This includes blankets and a full medical kit.

• Make sure you have medication for the whole family stored in a leak proof container.

• Make sure you have a cell phone and your charger. Have the car charger as well as an electric charger.

• A battery operated radio will assist you if the power is out and an evacuation is in place.

• Have a full set of clothes for each family member.

• Keep some cash stored away just in case you should need it.

• Be sure you have an address book or phone numbers stored in your phone or a booklet that you can grab quickly. Put it in your first aid kit.

• If you are evacuated, take a permanent marker and write everyone's name on their arm along with any allergies, just in case you get separated. (You may wish to add your address as well.)

I am sure there are many more ideas, but these are important ones that everyone should think about in case they are evacuated or lose power. Hopefully you may never have to use this list but it is always best to be safe.

By Gem from VA

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I especially like the marker idea. Having read many emergency/evac lists (I live in a retirement community and pass on info to others) I had not seen this onebefore. Thanks!

Great list! A couple of items I have in mine. I double bag paperwork, meds and clothing in ziploc bags not just to keep them dry but also because those bags may come in handy. I also store extras in my first aid kit too.

The other thing I store extra is salt and sugar. I was told years ago by the president of Associated Grocers that those would be worth more than cash in a real disaster. We need salt in our food and most of us have a sweet tooth. Both have a forever storage life too. I bag mine up salt in snack size bags and sugar in quart size. Easier to do now than when I want to use it as cash.

And speaking of meds...I used my empty med bottles to store some cash, some waterproof matches and other items I can't remember right now.

I may need those little bottles in that future disaster.

O and I do so like the idea of the permanent marker too.

Thanks Great Information!

Dee

Great to know this list to be prepared. One more important item to grab is your Eyeglasses. My husband is legally blind without his glasses & contacts, therefore, his glasses are essential to any emergency list. Also Contacts, Contact Cases & Contact/Saline Solutions.

I found some great backpacks at a yard sale for a couple dollars to use for individual emergency kits. The lists for kits can be found on Redcross.com and Ready.gov along with other sites. For items to complete your kit, check out Dollar Tree, or similar stores. The small investment is amazing! My kit is complete, but as I find items that would be handy to have and/or barter with, I include those for tiny $.