Fish Pie

This cheesy fish pie is a British staple. It can be made very cheaply with frozen fish or smartened up for special occasions with prawns or smoked fish.

• 1 lb. frozen white fish pieces
  • one cup Strong cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 pint milk
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 knob butter(about 2 Tbsp.)
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs (optional)

Fill a large pan with milk and drop in the pieces fish, still frozen. Add salt and pepper and a bayleaf it you have one. Simmer the fish pieces for about half an hour - by which time they will be fully cooked. Take off the heat and rest for another half hour to let the fish infuse the milk.

Melt a knob of butter (or margarine) in a small saucepan, lift from the heat and add a tablespoon of flour. Mix vigorously with a wooden spoon till the butter and flour are absorbed, then slowly start pouring the milk from the fish pan into the butter/flour mixture stirring all the time until you have a thickening roux sauce. Add grated cheese.

Put the pieces of fish in a bowl, cover with the cheese sauce and add the eggs, sliced, if you want them. Either eat on the spot or put aside and heat up later. Serve with salad or green vegetables. It is delicious topped with mashed potatoes.

Servings: 4
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
25 Minutes Cooking Time

By Lucy L.

This takes me back to my childhood . Haven't made it in years but now I know how I will fix the fish for dinner tonight. Thanks Lucy!

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

February 9, 2010 Flag

• 1 lb. fish fillets, fresh or frozen (I use frozen Tilapia)
  • 1 package frozen mixed vegetables (or use fresh or canned and choose the amount, more if you want to stretch the pie)
  • Ad
  • 1 can condensed cream of Celery Soup (or make your own white sauce and add celery)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp onion salt
  • 1 cup prepared biscuit mix (such as Bisquick, but I make my own mix)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (we like cheddar)

Thaw frozen fish; cut into 1 inch pieces.combine soup, mixed veggies, 1/2 cup milk, onion salt in 10 inch fry pan. Mix well and heat slowly about 5 minutes. Add fish, heat until bubbly.; pour into an 8 x 8 inch casserole baking dish.combine biscuit mix, cheese and remaining 1/2 cup milk in a bowl; stir to make a smooth dough. Spoon into even mounds onto the hot fish mixture. Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees F) for 18-20 minutes, or until biscuits are done and browned. (I put a pan under the casserole dish because the mixture sometimes bubbles over.) Serves 4.

By Linda from FL

Food and Recipes Recipes FishFebruary 12, 2010
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes