Crack Camper Windows For Smoother Ride

I learned this tip from friends who not only camped, but owned a campground. It works wonderfully! When traveling with a travel trailer, always crack open a front window on the left side of the camper, and a right window on the back side of the camper. This allows air to flow through easily and prevents the camper from whipping back and forth as you pass large trucks by. Your trip will be SO much smoother! It works on the same principle as does cracking windows when a tornado or hurricane is coming through - preventing so much pressure inside.

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

This is an interesting tip. They say that cracking a window during a tornado is just a myth & not to do it.

I don't know if it helps keep you from whipping back & forth, but I do know that whenever we were driving & changing altitudes & our ears began to hurt, my mom would crack a window, saying it helped relieve the pressure - and it works for that! I've tried it with my family without telling them why, so I know it's not just a mental thing.

I drive a 15 passenger van that can really get knocked around by the wind sometimes (in fact I just got back from a trip where I had to drive through 40-50mph winds,not fun!), so I'll have to remember to try your tip the next time!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I've lived in Kansas all my life and in my experience opening windows slightly does help in tornado weather.