AdviceHealth & Beauty

Allergic Reaction to Flip Flops

I wore a pair of rubber flip flops all summer, but towards the end of the summer my feet started itching terribly right where the straps of the sandals are. It turned into a rash that itched all the time and had tiny blisters with clear liquid that was definitely right where the shoe touched my foot. I threw the sandals away and bought new flip flops from Polo Ralph Lauren. The same thing happened! So I stopped wearing flip flops completely, and the rash has gotten a little better, but it won't completely go away. I've used hydrocortisone, but it isn't showing the results I would like. Does anyone know of anything that could help? Thanks.

By Ashton B.

Are you getting the rash between your toes? You probably just have very sensitive skin. Maybe lightly use some type of Gold bond before you put on your shoes?

Sounds like a fungus to me. Try an athlete's foot product.

This could be athlete's foot. Get a remedy from the drug store. Or it may be some severe allergic reaction to the shoes. I have seen things posted on the internet about this. A trip to the doctor might be in order. Certainly, toss those new flop flops as well.

It could be that you're allergic to something in the rubber. There was a case a few years ago of a girl who bought flip-flops at Wal-Mart and had a severe reaction to the flip-flops. However, it wasn't only her, but the people at the store who were stocking the shelves - they had reactions too. I'm not sure if they were recalled, but it is very possible that you may be suffering the same thing. It'd be a good idea to check with your doctor.

Could be you developed an allergy to the rubber or something else in the straps after wearing them for awhile. Or maybe it was just a reaction of the constant pressure on sensitive, sweaty skin in the heat.

If you still have it, you may need prescription hydro-cortisone, sometimes the OTC stuff just isn't strong enough.But first, try covering the spots with the cortisone, then covering them with gauze pads & medical tape. This protects them while they heal.

You can also either soak your feet in a bucket of water with teabags - or just get a bowl of water, let the teabags soak in it, then use them (or a clean rag) to wipe your feet several times a day with it until it heals. Benadryl helps with the itching, you can take the children's liquid benadryl & adjust your dose so it doesn't make you drowsy during the day.

I have the same problem sometimes, but mine happens with socks. Sometimes in the summer when I wear socks & my feet get really hot, I'll take my shoes off at the end of the day & the tops of my feet will be so extremely itch. Doesn't matter even if I don't scratch, the whole tops of my feet are covered with tiny blister-like bumps. It drives me insane & I'll scratch them open at night. Takes weeks to heal.

I do the things I mentioned above. When I'm lucky to have prescription higher strength hydro-cortisone, I use it. When I don't have it, I do what I told you above. I'll also take 1/4-1/2tsp of liquid (generic) benadryl during the daytime hours & the full dose at night. Sometimes it takes weeks to heal, especially if you scratch. I try to go barefoot or wear sandals as much as possible when I get it, & if I have to wear shoes, I'll cover the tops of my feet with the gauze & medical tape to protect it.

It pops out occasionally on the tops of my hands too, for no reason. I have a lot of allergies, so I think that's probably what it is, but it's really miserable until it heals!

Here is what happened to my hands, it spread to my arms, legs and neck. All from garden Gloves made in China. It has been since Aug. 2008 until now to clear up all but my hands. 2011 and I still have to use a prescription cream every night with exam gloves and during the day when I garden. I have to use the Nitrile exam gloves (same gloves your doctors and nurses use) when I do dishes too. It is not worth the risk. GG Vi