Widow Looking For Advice On Entertaining, Travel and Meals

After 50+ yrs of marriage I am now a widow. How do I become a content and successful single? I need ideas for entertaining, travel, and meals.

Lady Bet

Best Answer

Check out your local senior center activities! I used to be a center director, and the services provided are amazing. Things like dance classes, lowcost lunches, health screenings and information, quilting groups, book clubs, special events, exercise classes. And it's all free or very low priced.

The best part is, you get to be around friendly, happy people your own age. I met some of the happiest people there.

Participate in their volunteer opportunities, too. You can answer phones, serve dinners, deliver meals to the homebound, or help with fundraising. All the volunteers I worked with said it was the best thing for their own health and attitude.

Do the same things you used to do, except for the things you didn't really like. Then add some new things your partner didn't really like.

It's okay to go to movies and restaurants alone, by the way. Bring a book to read, a sketchbook, some needlework, or something else to keep you busy while waiting.

Taking up some (or more) volunteer work, taking an informal class, and visiting the library are good ways to find things to do. Also, check out the local tourist sites, surf the Web, or join a gym.

Keep inviting your friends to do things and answering their invitations. See if anyone is up for something extra.

Thank you: Great ideas. I will start doing at least a couple today. Bet

I know of a lot of churches who would be glad for your help in serving the needy in their local soup kitchen. Working with the your city's local soup kitchen is an idea. Developing friendships with others helping the needy is such an encouragement. Also other areas of the church most prbably would be in need of your help.

My husband died 12-20-04. I am 58, we was 62. We had been married 37+ years. We never did anything alone, we were always together even the grocery shopping. He had been retired 7 years. Life was more than beautiful. Now I do not see how i can even life through today let alone tomorrow. Travel? Entertaining? Meals? (who can eat). I am puzzled with your whole question. Mine would be, how do I continue living.

Check with your county: Some have local groups of seniors that get together once a month for a lunch. Then you meat new people. Some times the Library may have a senior get together also. The library also has videos you can get out and it does not cost anything, unless you forget to return them. Possibly some of the seniors that get together would enjoy having a movie at there home. People can take turns who entertains. There may be churches that have something your interested in also. Most counties have art groups, groups that do creative writing etc... Just a thought.

Active Older Man
Entertainment and Activities for Older Adults
Entertainment AdviceJanuary 31, 2005
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Chocolate cover strawberries, a great treat for frugal entertaining.
Frugal Entertaining Tips