Use the School Supplies You Have

Instead of going out to buy new coloring utensils for the school year, grab that big box of crayons from under the bed. You can find a crayon sharpener just laying about and sharpen some of the main colors needed. They will be perfect for school and much better than spending money on new utensils.

Instead of a new pencil box, paint and decorate a pasta box instead. It works just as well and can look very pretty. I remember I had my kids go to school with old sharpened crayons and a glittery pasta box and my daughter came home saying, "My friends love my pencil box and are wondering if you could make some for them!" I did, and her friends loved them. I was the "cool mom" (wink, wink) for a year!

I guess my tip is when school comes around, just get out an old pasta box and some used crayons, they'll work just as fine.

By Claire Bear from Columbus, OH

Photo of a back pack, colored pencils, paper and other school supplies.
Saving Money on School Supplies
Parenting School ShoppingJuly 12, 2011
School Supplies
Organizing School Supplies
A backpack full of school supplies.
Finding Help Getting School Clothing and Supplies
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School