Cat Scratching Wound

My cat had surgery on his neck and he scratched off his stitches. I took him back to the vet and they put in staples and gave me a collar to use. Three days later he scratched out his staples by getting under the collar, and no I couldn't make it tighter.

The position of the wound makes it impossible for the collar to work, because it to rubs the wound. So I called my vet again, and they had me take him to an emergency clinic. They wrapped it with soft cloth and pulled out the two staples he had left in. I got him home, and he's already scratching off this wrap and getting to the wound! Any ideas on something that would help or work?

By Julie

Hello,

There are new E-Collars that work better than the plastic ones. Ask your Vet if he/she can order you one. It completely covers the neck area so scratching will not affect the woud area. You can also look it up in most animal supply magazines or order it online... Good luck

Since your cat is probably scratching his neck with a back legs, trim the nails on the one foot and tape a finger of an old glove over the back paw so the result is that the nails cannot dig into his neck.

Wrap his paws up in little mittens, that way his nails will be covered, problem solved!

Buy some gauze cut them into little squares, place tape over with tape sticking out at both ends and then lay tape the other directions that it sticks out at all four side. Put your cats paw on the gauze and fold the (white tape) over from the sides first then the front....it works. And it's cheap :)

Tried all suggestions for my cat who has a big (2" long) wound on her neck, and she promptly takes everything off. We are trying putting tape on her paw and will see after an hour how it goes.

Anonymous

Hi, did you manage yo find a solution? I am in a similar situation with my cat. She came in with an open puncture wound on her throat/neck which looked clean, so I bathed it in saltwater. 2 days later it was looking really bad as she kept scratching it with her back foot! I swiftly took her to the vet & she came back with a large shaved area & an undressed 5cm wound with several dissolvable stitches! I told my vet she will scratch them out so she tried to dress them (badly) and ended up winding adhesive tape around her neck, which was was extremely stressful for her and we all got bit & scratched.. now at home she has scratched the tape up so her wound is exposed. I tried to remove the useless yape as it wasnt actually protecting the wound but annoying her and encouraging her yo scratch more. I can't as it is stuck to her fur though! I am extremely worried & dont know what to do