Stretching a Box of Noodle-Roni

I stretch or "expand" a box of noodle-roni by adding a little extra water (and milk if needed) with my own "cheap" egg noodles or angel hair pasta. It saves me from having to buy two boxes to feed a family of 5 and I don't have to worry about leftovers because I can make just enough. This also works great to stretch a box of rice-a-roni if you add a little of your own "cheap" rice (and a little extra water). Then you won't have to buy the larger, more expensive family size.

By Marianne

This is a WONDERFUL tip, I don't have a large family, but this is still a great idea!!! I will definitely use it! Thanks!!!!!

If your only slighly more adventurous and you want to save even more money try this. Buy your pasta on sale; often you can get it for 50 cents per pound or less. The rice is cheap, too... and you can use a cheap dry chicken boullion.

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1/3 cup THIN spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces, about 1/6 of a 1 pound box of dried pasta

3/4 cup white enriched rice

1 1/2 cups water with appropriate chicken boullion

1/2 small chopped onion

In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add spaghetti and rice and brown for about 4 minutes. Add broth or water, salt and pepper, and bring liquid to a full boil. Cover pot and REDUCE HEAT TO A SIMMER cook 18-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, serve and enjoy.

Experiment... add leftover veggies and/or meat to this. You'll never have to buy Rice-A-Roni again!

You can also stretch a box of Hamburger, Tuna, or Chicken helper the same way....I add a couple of handfuls of similar pasta (I have several on hand)...and often stir in a pound of a frozen veggie, a can of veggies, or fresh. This makes a hearty meal for a family of five, including 3 teenagers.

OMG....... you guys are great!! I never thought of that and I needed it when my kids where still at home...I had 3 kids and 2 adults and one box wasnt quite enough so I would make 2 boxes and part of it would go to waste. Thanks!!!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsOctober 8, 2004
Nail Polish
Stretching Nail Polish
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Liquid Hand Soap
Stretching Liquid Hand Soap
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 24, 2016 at 8:39:46 PM on in 954 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.