Painting Back Splash Tiles

I need to know how to paint on a ceramic tile. I am tiling a back-splash behind our stove and want to add some decorative tiles, but need to know how to paint a design on the ceramic tile that will be washable and not come off. Do I need special paints? Do I put the tile in the oven after painting to set the paint? Please help!

By NanaMay from Mulhall, OK

I have never used it myself, but I think the stores that sell crafts have paint for this. Ask at the paint stores as well.

There is no paint that you can put on ceramic tile that will not come off. You can use a craft paint to paint a nice design, but it will not stand up to cleaning that you would do in a kitchen. You can paint over tiles (I have some in my bathroom that have been done.), but you run the risk of the paint peeling off. The former owners painted over mine, and it has stuck to about 2/3 of the tiles, but peels like crazy off of the rest. I have no idea why. A small residue of oil or whatever on some, is my best guess.

Now, if you want to glaze these tiles, that can be done, but you need a kiln to do that. I have reglazed commercial tiles with a high fire glaze. It mixed with the original glaze, and was quite lovely. I broke these up and used them in a mosaic table. However, if you are not familiar with glazes, pottery, and ceramics, this is not something you can do at home. You could go to a places that sells ceramic greenware and glazes and see if they can help you out. A place like that will have a kiln, but of course they will charge you to fire your tiles. You cannot fire pottery or glazes in an oven. An oven heats to about 500 degrees. A pottery kiln heats to 2000 or so.

Painting Ceramic Tile
Painting Ceramic Tile
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingOctober 11, 2010
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
collection of photos
Making Photo Tiles
Making Splash Balls
Making Splash Balls
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile