Skin Fungus on Border Terrier Mix

My 2 1/2 year old border terrier mix has a skin fungus type thing on his belly towards his back legs. I took him to the vet (Banfield) and was confirmed was a fungus. Anyway, I got the pills and shampoo and with the exam/visit it came to over $200!

He has been doing great and it seemed to clear up, but now I just looked again and it looks like the same thing. I was wondering if there is any home remedy I could try before taking him to the vet which I can't afford $200 each month. But will if I absolutely have to. Just moved to a new area, so looking for a more affordable vet anyway. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I would suggest taking a holistic approach. To help your dog's immune system, try olive leaf extract capsules for dogs. For his skin, Dermcaps can't be beat. Also, try adding soft boiled eggs, or a room temperature egg yolk to his kibble 2-3 times a week.

The olive leaf caps and Dermcaps can be found on line from pet suppliers. Make sure you get the olive leaf that's formulated for dogs; not the human version as it may be too strong.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Because you have a prescription and the name of the shampoo, you could try ordering them from one of the Vet Supply places online. Drs. Foster and Smith will fill prescriptions or give you a consultation and a prescription. http://www.drsfostersmith.comproduct/Shop.cfm?N=3001 . It will probably be a lot less than taking him back to the vet.

The holistic way and changing his diet is also a good idea.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Forgot to mention adding fresh garlic to your dog's food -- mix crushed garlic from a garlic press in with wet food or baby food. Add 1/2 to 1 clove daily.

Clove, like olive leaf extract, are natural yeast/fungus fighters.

Listerine!!! Using cotton ball [giant size] put Listerine on it and rub affected area daily til it heals.

Listerine!!!! Safe for dog if he licks it. Using a giant cotton ball, saturate it with LIsterine and pat it onto affected area. Do this daily til it heals. Can also be used to clean out their ears [but do it outside as they shake their head - no cleanup outside, but can go everywhere when done in the house!

My cocker spaniel, now in doggy heaven, had some-thing like this. My vet recommended a blue dishwashing liquid as a wash liquid. It is not anything "new" but something that is on the shelf at your local Kroger/A and P/Market Basket grocery. If you can can't find it please email me back and I will go to Kroger's and see what it is.

We ended up doing this often to get rid of the crud

Your vet should not charge you this amount the second time. The orignial amount included an exam and diagnositc services. You should be able to just let your vet know that the fungus has returned, and s/he should dispense medication for the cost of the medicine and dispensing fee. S/he shouldn't charge for an exam, etc.. If you've moved, you can contact your old vet and have her/ him fax your dog's records to your new vet. Veterinary supply stores may also carry what your pup requires, thus eliminating the dispensing fee too!

Won't listerine burn on a sore???

Dar in Tx

No, it doesn't burn the sores - remember one is patting it on, not rubbing [so as to irritate it more].

JoanDogs

As to adding Garlic to the dog's food is a poor and dangerous thing. Go to http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=2 for more information. Garlic contains sulfoxides and disulfides which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia!!

Buy a bottle of tea tree oil ($6 to $8)and add some to your dog's shampoo or add some to liquid castille soap or baby shampoo and wash your dog with it. It'll kill the fungus and be kind to your dog's skin. If the fungus is stubborn, rub some directly on the dog's skin. This won't hurt your dog at all, just be careful it doesn't get into his eyes. And while it shouldn't be taken internally, it won't hurt if your dog just licks it.

You know, it really sounda like a huge DUST MITE attack, which LOOKS JUST LIKE A FUNGUS and itches like mad. My animals got this and the best thing is to try to keep their sleeping quarters cleaner. If it's raw, the dog could have caused that rawness from scratching. If mites, there will be patches of scabby

flat sores. Sounda also like the dog may be allergic to the soaps you're using, or that you may be missing that area? But being on the belly sounds like he's getting contact dermatitis from whatever

he's sleeping on? Are you using any new floor cleaner? If it's mites, the Listerine will help. If fungus, I'd try human Vagisil for yeast, because yeast is a fungus. If his diet is mostly chow/cereals

/dry foods, I'd increase the size of his water bowl, add a raw beaten egg to whatever you feed him, and the olive oil sound good to my thinking, in the

amount of about 2 Teasponns per bowl. Use alcohol

on his bedding, and the floor he's on the most often. Try him on a rug or towel you can toss in the wash each week. Dust mites are totally microscopic and can cause a lot of damage because their food is skin of any kind. the area you described is right where he can reach with his teeth, too, so I'd put money on it being mites. I'd wash him only in warm water and VERY mild and sparse dog shampoo, not human shampoo, rinsing VERY well...then blow drying those areas especially well, not washing him too often until the areas are well. Add some tuna to his diet, and even canned veggies low in salt. There's too much salt in dry foods which can cause skin irritations and nerve ending over-sensitivity/neuritis. Don't give him any

candy/chocolate, or fried foods, just tuna in water,

egg, olive oil, no SOY. Avoid all table scraps, until he's well, if you can afford it. Also, I have read in several places that Acilolphylus for dogs is a good idea. It's the good part of milk in a capsule, from the health food store. Good luck and God bless you both. : )

I live in AZ. and I want to suggest this: since you are new to the area please put your dog on bottled water. I travel in a motorhome in the summer and I used to have problems with my Pom with skin rashes. Changed to bottled water...no more problems....except that she has an on-going yeast infection in one ear. Any suggestions?

Do not feed raw egg whites to dogs. Please read this link:

http://www.peteducation.com/article ... ls=2&cat=1661&articleid=1030

Our Boston developed chronic lesions on her chubby lil belly. I thought it looked like ringworm but I'm glad we took her to the vet who diagnosed it differently. We have shampoo and pills too. She may have to go on Science Diet. We've changed her dishes from plastic to metal because plastic is a common allergen. Responsible pet ownership is expensive but the reward is returned many times over.

Good luck.

They only weigh about a pound, they were saved from going to the pound, but when I got them home I noticed that they had some flakey skin and the next day their hair started falling out, I have taken them to the vet and he said they had a fungus on the skin, I have some shampoo from him but I didn't know if there were faster ways of getting rid of it..please let me know...Thanks

One thing I have found is that some fungus-related issues on small dogs can have a lot to do with excessive yeast growth, which often comes from treats or inexpensive dog foods. Much like you and I can wind up with issues due to certain foods, treats and other foods that are high in bad fats can cause an over production of yeast, which manifests as a fungus on the outter skin. Check out Nzymes.com. Might help.

Go to a large animal vet. We did and now they send injections to us pre loaded with directions. A mild steroid cured this fungus in our terrier, but it always comes back in about three months or so. He gets crusty skin on his rear back, on the backs of his rear legs. A cut down and frequent bathing just stripped his hair of oils and made it worse. I was told is was a fungus, internal or something like that. All the other dogs sniff his bad spots so I am sure it smells 'sick' to them. He spends a lot of time chewing on his feet because he can't get to his back. A rescue dog, only just now warming up to me and trusting us. It took about a year 'cause he is 10-11 years old.

Pets AdviceJune 17, 2007
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Border Collie
Border Collie Breed Information and Photos
Photo of a toe with toenail fungus.
Getting Rid of Toenail Fungus
🎄