Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Planning a Wedding on a $5,000 Budget

I have 3 months to plan my whole wedding by myself. Nobody is helping me to pay for it and my budget is $5000. I don't really want to spend more money because I want to save it for some traveling after, and I believe that is going to be more expensive. I'm looking for something special but simple. Any ideas?

By Luis from Berkeley, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Beverly08/02/2010

My daughter's first wedding was planned in less than 2 weeks with a very very low budget. She made her bouquet herself with items bought from Wal-mart and Hobby Lobby. We made her veil ourselves with tulle and lace, a small decorative comb that we added flowers and lace to. The wedding itself was at a local wedding chapel that was low cost-I think it was max of $350 and we used their flowers. For the reception-wedding cake was a full-sheet sized cake (similar to a birthday cake) but done in her colors and type of flowers she wanted which turned out absolutely gorgeous! The bride and groom glasses were champagne flutes that we bought at goodwill for maybe $1 each, decorated with ribbon and flowers that we added at the base with a little hot glue. The bridesmaids bought their dresses and their bouquets were all handmade to match the bride's but on a smaller scale. Altho we didn't spend too much on it, we were complimented on how well everything turned out and how beautiful it looked.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]07/25/2010

I got married in San Diego at Presido Park with an outstanding view. Park fee was cheap. Had reception
at my home. Cake was by Living Room, chocolate & white chocolate cake, gorgeous, wonderful, Swiss chocolate,
and fresh flowers by grocery store Vons, cheap!
Decorations hand made. Appetizers.
Champagne Cake Reception it was all so easy and inexpensive. We took a month long honeymoon up to San Francisco, drove to Washington had a wonderful trip. Borrow friends & family white or clear Christmas lights
and decorate!
Mine did not seem as cheap it was! People asked how I did it and I just was cheap and careful. Saving
money for trip was wonderful.Leaving on our trip not owing a dime was great.
It is your day do what you want and let friends help. Amazing what can be done.
Make your invitations. I cut tissue paper and used that also. No need to buy or spend on that.

By Janet [7]07/22/2010

A small idea is to have a smallish wedding cake and then a sheet cake in the kitchen to serve your quests. They won't know it's from a sheet cake, and you will save a bundle. Wedding cakes are a huge expense. Cupcakes or individual cakes for each table work well too.

By susan [33]07/21/2010

I got married in my parents home, it was beautiful! I had a harpist and arranged my own flowers and bouquets etc. My mother-in-law made the dresses and I borrowed plants for decoration. You could always rent a tent or gazebo or even a barn for the wedding and reception. I would keep the food to a minimum such as cake and punch, small sandwiches if you need to. Best wishes. :)

By Betty [104]07/21/2010

$5,000 doesn't seem simple to be but I'm from the old school. The single man that finds someone to get married in a cornfield will be a lucky man. It sounds sweet and romantic to me. I think even a $5,000 wedding is a wast unless you already have an emergency fund and down payment on a home. I could find a better use for $5,000. And in a few years you'll wonder why you did it.

By Meemaw [49]07/17/2010

You said you are paying for the wedding but that does not mean you have to do it all by yourself. Ask around your friends and find out what their talent is. Family members love to help and so does neighbors. I have a few suggestions: Have your wedding & reception at the same place. Keep an open mind and ask about a motel that might be off the beaten path that has a wonderful banquet room. afternoon wedding is cheaper. Serve only cake & punch. Have a brides cake & groom cake and decorate each table very nice. Rent a fountain punch bowl (it is cheap) and you won't have to have anyone serve it. A few nice touches add a lot for a little money: imprinted napkins, nice wedding cake, fountain punch bowl. Rent table clothes for brides table, use a more "masculine" fabric for the grooms table such as broad cloth or old fashion burlap. The grooms table is usually a little more relaxed and sometimes done to reflect a hobby or interest.

netting is cheap cheap cheap. You can cut it and make bows. Gather it or drape it.

Fall touches that show up real good in pictures would be mums, pumpkins, squash. As around and see if anyone happens to have any hanging ferns.

My son has always said he would like his wedding in the middle of a corn field--lmao--maybe that is why he is still single. Anyway, my point is....it is your wedding and it should reflect both of your personalities.

And of course-best of luck to you!!!

Here are questions related to Planning a Wedding on a $5,000 Budget.

Question: Autumn Wedding Ideas on a $5,000-$6,900 Budget

I would like to know if anyone has any good ideas for DIY decor/creative wedding transportation ideas for an autumn wedding?

By Raye91 from up north

Most Recent Answer

By glimmer62 [4]11/18/2011

Hi Raye!
If you can marry and celebrate in the same place that simplifies the transportation issue, unless you have already chosen. DIY crafts, have you ever seen the rose petal candle holders?

Also I copied sheet music onto stiff paper and made pretty cones for the favors. I put Hershey kisses in them (not exactly low budget). They looked elegant and go with everything 'cause they are black & white. We married at an inn, so there were no other decorations. Best wishes!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Planning a Wedding on a $5,000 Budget

I really need help planning my wedding, the date is May 30, 2009. I have a $5,000 budget however I don't want my wedding to look cheap.