Are Borax and Boric Acid the Same?

Are borax and boric powder the same?

By Jay

Best Answer

Borax is a naturally occurring mineral, also know as sodium borate. It is a salt and can be easily converted into boric acid, which also occurs in nature. Both can be used for similar purposes, with the boric acid being more condensed, therefore stronger. I'm not sure what boric powder is, it could be either of them.

For more information on both, here are some Wikipedia links.

Boric acid is a dangerous poison. Poisoning from this chemical can be acute or chronic. Acute boric acid poisoning usually occurs when someone swallows powdered roach-killing products that contain the chemical.

Chronic poisoning occurs in those who are repeatedly exposed to boric acid. For example, in the past, boric acid was used to disinfect and treat wounds. Patients who received such treatment over and over again got sick, and some died.

Borax comes from alkaline soils and salt deposits so I don't think they are the same.

When the other person talked about boric acid poisoning, that is commercial grade and probably in very strong concentrations. They are right about them not being the same, but reagent grade boric acid is mixed & diluted as an old fashioned eye wash. It comes in a really low %'age. It is very soothing & easy on the eyes. The eye drops these days have too many chemicals I don't want in my eyes or body. So I use the boric acid solution.

Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsFebruary 10, 2010
Acid Reflux
Remedies for Acid Reflux
A car battery.
Cleaning Up Battery Acid
Borax powder, with a measuring cup and spray bottle.
Cleaning With Borax
Buying Borax