When the other person talked about boric acid poisoning, that is commercial grade & probably in very strong concentrations. They are right about them not being the same, but reagent grade boric acid is mixed & diluted as an old fashioned eye wash. It comes in a really low %'age. It is very soothing & easy on the eyes. The eye drops these days have too many chemicals I don't want in my eyes or body. So I use the boric acid solution.
Boric acid is a dangerous poison. Poisoning from this chemical can be acute or chronic. Acute boric acid poisoning usually occurs when someone swallows powdered roach-killing products that contain the chemical.
Chronic poisoning occurs in those who are repeatedly exposed to boric acid. For example, in the past, boric acid was used to disinfect and treat wounds. Patients who received such treatment over and over again got sick, and some died.
Borax comes from alkaline soils and salt deposits so I don't think they are the same.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.