Humidify Your House With Your Furnace

Our house is dry in the winter in Ohio, but my dog is afraid of the humidifier. I solved this problem by purchasing a couple of the plastic-coated wire racks used for organizing cabinets, and setting it over our floor registers for our forced-air furnace. I then place a damp, but not dripping wet, hand towel over the rack. As the furnace air blows, it forces moisture into the air. It works quite well, and it doesn't scare our dog. You may need to do this once or twice a day, depending on how often the furnace is running. It is also one less appliance that needs to be plugged in and using more electricity. If you still use dryer sheets (I no longer do), you can weave one of these through the rack and place the towel on top if it. It will act as an air freshener as well!

By Cheryl from Ohio

Since I was a little girl back in the 60s, my momma always placed a coffee can full of water on each heater vent in each room to add moisture to the air. Her momma always kept a big pot of water boiling on the stove while she was awake.

I like your idea about the fabric softener sheet...I never thought about that and am ALWAYS looking for a way to freshen the air in our house as my parents both smoke. I'm gonna try this one out...thanks for sharing!

God Bless,

Sheila in Decatur, IL

You can also use a old tea kettle and fill it with liquid potpourri or dry potpourri, and place it on the floor furnace, too. That way you do not have to keep getting the towels wet you just need to keep an eye on the water in tea kettle.