AdviceHealth & Beauty

Eye Color Changes in Certain Lighting

My eyes are very dark brown, almost black. Lately, a lot of people have said that in certain lighting they turn blue. I saw this happen once, the color was actually dark blue/green, like a peacock feather. Does anyone know what's causing this? Is something wrong, is medical attention needed?

If it's any help, I'm 56. My mother and sister have medium brown eyes, my brother's are amber/yellow. Daddy's eyes were emerald green with a gold cluster around the pupil with a bright rust cluster on top of the gold. Thanks for any help.

Curious Cat from South Norfolk, VA

If you're seeing bluish or grayish in the iris of your eyes, check with your doctor to be on the safe side.

If thats the actual color of the color part of your eyes, its just beautiful, and you are blessed. God works in mysterious ways, and you are a rare beauty. :)

I would say, definitely check with your doctor just to be sure. On the flip-side, I know several people whose eyes change color depending on lighting or what color they are wearing or surrounded by. I knew one girl, a twin, and the way she differed from her sister was that if she wore yellow, her normally blue-green eyes would turn almost transparent. Mine are dark brown but I have seen them look a lighter almost reddish brown in certain lights, and once one of them looked light brown while the other remained unchanged. I have had several eye doctor visits and physicals since then and my eyes are fine, I guess that's just one of my quirks.

Sounds like just hazel type eyes. Not unusual for eyse to change. My son's eyes can look blue, gray, green, or brown depending on what he's wearing and the lighting. Just go with it and enjoy!

Don't worry. There's nothing wrong with you.

Studies have shown that eye colour change when you're older.

Here's a link about it. i came upon it a few months ago.

http://www.wond  ye-color-age.htm