Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Restoring Shine to Vinyl Flooring

What is the best way to make my vinyl tile flooring shine without being slippery? Someone suggested table salt and hot water. Has anyone tried it and does it work?

By Sheila from New York City, NY

By Hearts1 [12]07/16/2010

I just noticed another post that said never use Mop & Glow because it leaves a thin shine, and gets a build up. When my vinyl floor was installed it did not shine. Does that mean it's not supposed to?

Thanks!

By Cyinda [214]04/02/2010

VINYL & LINOLEUM:
Most people use the terms "Vinyl" & "Linoleum" interchangeably, but there is a big difference between Linoleum & Vinyl flooring & they require different care... Vinyl is a synthetic substance similar to a "plastic" or PVC & requires petroleum to manufacture, while Linoleum is a natural product made from Sawdust & Linseed oil backed with canvas (Linseed comes from the same plant they use to make "Linen" fabric). Linoleum is a "green"product, but not near as durable as Vinyl flooring is.

The original flooring in old houses was Linoleum. It was first produced in the mid 1800's & used until the 1960's when Vinyl became available. But there is a turn-around in the flooring industry because Linoleum is made from sustainable resources, it's being used more & more these days by those who are trying to build a "green" home & in non-allergenic homes, hospitals and health care facilities.

Vinyl flooring is much stronger than the old Linoleum was, so back-in-the-day they used to use a paste wax then buff the linoleum floors (especially in schools & hospitals) so the floor would be less porous & more durable. Most Vinyl flooring has a build-in shine & using harsh cleaners or very hot water can ruin both Linoleum & Vinyl flooring. I would recommend just using an easy product like "Mop & Glow," it will leave a shine without being too slippery.

THE HISTORY OF LINOLEUM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleum

Here are questions related to Restoring Shine to Vinyl Flooring.

Question: Returning Shine to No Wax Flooring

My kitchen floor is about 10 years old and it is that no wax flooring. It doesn't look really great anymore. I try everything to clean it to make it look shiny again, but nothing works and I do not want to use wax. Anyone have any ideas?

By Mamie

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams11/23/2011

I use the over the counter 'mop and shine' type products, keeping a cheap sponge mop for that product only. It makes my floors look great when I use it. Mine are about 10 years old, and have been walked all over with shoes, sand, grit, dogs, etc.

It doesn't last long, but is much better than looking at dull floors, and a whole lot better than waxing.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Restoring Shine to Linoleum and Vinyl Flooring

How do I bring back the shine to a linoleum floor that has faded, because of dirt and grime? How about a vinyl floor? I have cleaned with with different cleaners to no avail.

By Mitch from Corona, CA

RE: Restoring Shine to Linoleum and Vinyl Flooring

If you can find a brand of floor product called, "Brite", it does a beautiful job of cleaning and shining linoleum floors. I have used it for years. All you do is sweep the floor really well and apply "Brite" with a sponge mop, rinsing often as it picks up the dirt. I do mine on my hands and knees with absolutely beautiful results. (11/16/2009)

By irisbird

Have you tried stripping it? Hands and knees with a scrub brush and ammonia, hot water, maybe a squirt of soap, and work on one area until it is totally clean. You may have to rinse. Then put a wax finish on and it should be good to go. (11/18/2009)

By mulberry204

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That is what I use and then I use a floor cleaner for shining. (11/18/2009)

By boxergirl76

There is a Mr. Clean sponge mop with Magic Eraser now. It's great. (02/11/2010)

By iBroke