Newspaper for Less Weeds

A great and easy way to get rid of weeds in your garden. After you have prepared your soil and have planted your lovely plants, take all your newspapers and lay them on top of the soil. Piece them together all around your plants. (Only use the black and white print not the colored ads.) Next dampen the paper with the water hose, then scatter your mulch on top. Not only will this kill the weeds but the paper will biodegrade and help your plants. I have done this process with out weeding my garden for weeks! Happy planting!

By Linda from Bossier City, LA

I get sprayed every month here in the south for roaches and Palmettos bugs.

One month I got a new exterminator guy and he saw the newspaper around my flowers. He told me to get rid of it RIGHT NOW that it is a breeding ground and housing for roaches. They LOVE newspaper!

So, if you have a problem with roaches perhaps you need to treat the newspaper somehow or not use it close to your home.

I believe roaches love anything. The mulch would also be a breeding ground for them. If you've got 'em, you've got'em...you know? Besides, wouldn't the newpaper be soggy/messy quickly from the water? I wonder how long that would last, anyway. Just a thought!

I use this trick all the time - I put down about 10 sheets and overlap really thickly, spray it and then put the mulch down. It decomposes over the season, and winters over, and the next spring it is starting to crumble and add to the soil. It does not get soggy/messy at all. ( and no bug problems )