Cleaning a Stainless Steel Sink

I got a new stainless steel sink. It had dark marks on the inside, so I cleaned it with Gel Gloss, which is recommended for stainless steel. The marks came off, but the cloth I used was black, like I had removed tarnish from silver.

I now have cleaned it a second time, about a week later, and once again the cloth is black. I'm concerned I'm removing the finish from the sink. Has anyone else experienced this black residue when cleaning their sink?

By Beetlebeau from PA

I"ve had stainless steel sinks for many years. Wouldn't have any other kind! I've always used simple brill-o pads to clean them. Once it's cleaned good once, then just a dab of dish soap will keep it clean after that. And brill-o again if it gets real dirty or stained.

If your sink is new don't use Brillo! Instructions for caring for your sink should mention this. If the sink is old, Brillo probably won't hurt it.

On a new sink though, it will ruin the finish faster. I just use Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend on a sponge if it needs extra cleaning. Usually just a scrubby sponge and dish soap leaves it beautiful.

I don't know what the black residue is, but stainless steel is virtually impossible to hurt. That's why it is called stainless. Don't worry about it.

The 'black' is a normal result from cleaning/polishing metals (S.S., Copper, Brass, etc.)

Gel Gloss is excellent. If you ever have scratches or stains that seem impossible to remove, get MAAS.

available practically everywhere.

http://www.meta  net/page/1017618

I have had a stainless steel sink for 5 years and it looks like new, how do I keep it that way? I just scrub it with dish washing liquid and water, if it seems really dirty I use baking soda with a wet cloth to make a paste and scrub the sink. For an occasional rust mark after letting rinsed cans drain I use the Mr. Clean eraser, presto, clean sink, so shiny!