Plant HealthGardening

Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

I am trying to find an organic remedy for tomato plants with yellowing lower leaves and brown spots on them. They are growing beautifully and producing well, but I noticed yesterday the yellowing leaves. Please help. If it is blight, can I stop it now?

By Marie

Answers

Marie, you wrote that the "lower" leaves are yellowing and have brown spots. Just prune away those lower leaves and branches.

I do that routinely as my plants start growing. It's the leaves and stems touching the ground that tend to get diseased. So keep them off the ground and mulch under your plants if you can.

Tomato plants tend to start looking a little ratty anyway the longer they produce. So, I just keep pruning away the yucky looking leaves and branches. I live in a warm climate. So, usually in late July or early August I prune my plants way back and usually get a fall crop until our first frost which occurs between October 20th to November 20th.

These late tomatoes don't produce as heavily as the summer ones. That's good because honestly I'm downright tired of canning, drying and freezing by then.

But, I love having tomatoes for salad, sandwiches, and fresh salsa.