Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

I am trying to find an organic remedy for tomato plants with yellowing lower leaves and brown spots on them. They are growing beautifully and producing well, but I noticed yesterday the yellowing leaves. Please help. If it is blight, can I stop it now?

By Marie

Marie, you wrote that the "lower" leaves are yellowing and have brown spots. Just prune away those lower leaves and branches.

I do that routinely as my plants start growing. It's the leaves and stems touching the ground that tend to get diseased. So keep them off the ground and mulch under your plants if you can.

Tomato plants tend to start looking a little ratty anyway the longer they produce. So, I just keep pruning away the yucky looking leaves and branches. I live in a warm climate. So, usually in late July or early August I prune my plants way back and usually get a fall crop until our first frost which occurs between October 20th to November 20th.

These late tomatoes don't produce as heavily as the summer ones. That's good because honestly I'm downright tired of canning, drying and freezing by then.

But, I love having tomatoes for salad, sandwiches, and fresh salsa.

May 23, 2011 Flag

I just planted some tomato plants into a large pot, it's been about 5 days now. After I transplanted them I watered them with a little Miracle Gro and plain water. But some of my leaves are getting brown spots on them and around the edges they are browning and curling. What can I do ?

By Shelly from Salt Lake City, UT

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It sounds like the amount of fertilizer was too much and it "burned" the plant.

Yes, that is what it sounds like. The plants are too young to use fertilizer. My husband uses Epson salt every 14 days to fertilize, and our Tomato's are doing great. Also about those brown spots, sounds like water is getting on the leaves and the sun is burning them. We water early in the morning and sprinkle them when it's kinda of cloudy or when the sun goes down. Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Just a thought. When you transplanted them, did you make certain the roots were all completely covered in dirt, and then water them heavily to settle the soil around them? I've killed a few plants by not transplanting correctly. Is the soil level at the same place where the plant was before? What kind of potting soil did you use? Plain old dirt doesn't work very well. Hope this is helpful.

July 25, 2010 Flag

Why are my tomato plants getting brown spots on them?

By Queenb4ever from Forsyth, MO

Answers:

Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

If you have had a lot of rain this season it will probably be blight. Not a happy site. Any tomatoes you get and bring in wash thoroughly before storing, etc. Unfortunately, if it is blight, you may see it again next year if you plant in the same spot. It affects all the nightshade plants including potatoes.

Brown spots may develop on the tomatoes, as well, as they ripen and sometimes the tomatoes are stunted if there are any at all. The only way to curb it is with copper sulfite powder that you dilute and spray on the plants, but it is very poisonous and expensive. It's the same stuff they put in the lumber that makes it green. (09/03/2009)

By quiltmum

May 29, 2009 Flag

Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

I have black or brown spots on my tomato leaves and lots of them are turning yellow.

By slyellets from Bridgeton, NJ

Answers:

Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

Tomato plant diseases and their cures.
http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/TomatoProblems.htm (05/18/2009)

By Anonymous

May 12, 2009 Flag

The leaves on my recently planted tomato plants are developing brown spots on them and some of the leaves are starting to curl inward, however there is new growth since I planted them, which I find encouraging. Have I watered too much, not enough? Used too much Miracle Gro? Should I add something to the soil? Help please, they are like my babies.

Eileen from Springfield, MA

Answers:

Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

Without seeing your plants it's hard to give a concrete answer or solution. Brown spots usually don't appear from over or under watering, or from the use of Miracle Gro, but can be a symptom of overhead watering, mites, a mineral deficiency, or even a fungus.

Bugs can be treated by using an insecticidal soap at 7 day intervals (if you're into organic means - which I am), otherwise there are various pesticides on the market. Mineral deficiencies can be solved as well, although if you're already using Miracle Gro, a deficiency isn't likely the problem.

Another possibility - early blight, which appears first as circular or irregular spots on older leaves. As they enlarge, rings will form, and often the spots will run together. As soon as you're sure that's what it is, you should start applying a copper-based fungicide every 7-10 days as directed.

The curled leaves could be a part of the above problem, or could be bacterial canker or curly top, neither of which can be cured. Plants have to be destroyed to protect those that are uninfected. I'd do some online research to make sure what you have before doing anything. (05/30/2007)

By Anonymous

Brown Spots on Tomato Leaves

When leaves curl inward like that, the plants are stressed (or in need of water). Are the lower leaves turning brown and dying? If so, the brown spots are probably a fungus that the plant is taking up through the roots. I have that same problem where I live; it's common in the south where it's hot and humid. I always buy disease resistant varieties and rotate, but to no avail. Do not put the dead plant material into a compost pile if you have one, it'll exacerbate the problem.

You can talk to a nursery, but they'll tell you to buy stuff to drench the soil with before planting next season, and I try to stay away from that stuff and go organic. The plants will look bad, but will keep growing and producing edible fruit. I'm growing my tomatoes in hanging buckets this year. I've bought new soil to place in the buckets. This fall, I plan on covering my garden with black sheeting plastic to heat the soil, and leave it covered until planting next spring, to bake the soil and kill off any diseases, fungus, etc. (06/04/2007)

By susanmajp

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthJuly 25, 2010
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
🎉
🎄