Making Rainbow Play Rice
Dry rice makes a great medium for kids to play with. You can make a mini sandbox filled with rice that they can play in with trucks or action figures. White rice isn't very exciting though. It is very easy to dye rice whatever colors you want using food coloring.
- 12 cups of rice
- 6 Ziploc bags
- hand sanitizer
- food coloring
- glass pan or large garbage bag
- Place 2 cups of rice into each bag.
- Add 5 pumps of hand sanitizer and 2-3 drops of food coloring.
- Zip the bag shut and shake the bag to coat the rice. Add additional food coloring to achieve the desired color. Repeat with each bag.
- Once you have finished coloring all of the bags, pour them into a large glass casserole pan or spread them out onto a large garbage bag. Allow the rice to completely dry, preferably overnight.
Ideas for using your rainbow play rice:
By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
Can this be later cooked and ate?
This is so clever! Thanks for the great idea!
Add your voice to the conversation.