Lightening Dyed Hair

I recently colored my gray hair with Just For Men and it came out a little too dark. What is the simplest way to now lighten it a little?

By Bob

Try washing your hair with dishwashing detergent such as Dawn. This will make your hair dry, so condition it after. I have not tried this, as I do not color my hair, but I have a friend who does and says this works.

Most home hair color dye jobs will lighten up after several good washings. If it's a little too dark just shampoo frequently. I've heard it recommended to use Prell or a dandruff shampoo for this.

Sit outside in the sun and you will be beautiful light highlights on the top. People will think you paid big bucks $$$ to get your hair done!

It will wash out in time. Use a harsh shampoo like head and shoulders.

I suspect that frequent shampooing will soften up the color. It does with the colors I use, and I suspect it will with the Just for Men formula as well. I agree with OliveOyl, a dandruff shampoo will likely fade the color faster.

When I want to lift color I use Neutrogena shampoo. It takes off extra hair conditioner etc. so it works good to remove extra color. Just use it once or twice. It is more gentle on the hair so it won't affect the hair texture or make it dry or straw like. A little goes a long way and it will last a long time for you. Good luck. Linda

Use a clarifying shampoo like Paul Mitchell 3 ( you can find it in small sample or travel size bottles at Ulta) It will take some of the color out. Or you can use 20 volume peroxide comb it through your hair and sit in the sun for about 15 to 20 minutes and shampoo it and some of the color out. You can also mix the peroxide with shampoo and let it sit on your hair for 5 or 10 minutes and then shampoo as usual. Make sure you use a good conditioner afterwards. Hope this helps you!

Dyed Hair
Toning Down Dyed Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJune 30, 2011
Greased Lightning
Greased Lightning Reviews
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub