Dryer Sheet Air Freshener

Use a scented dryer sheet in your A/C intake to spread a nice scent all over the house. Just place one sheet on top of your filter. The air will pass through and distribute the scent through the duct work.

By kraftykaren from Mobile, AL

People! Please do not use fabric softener sheets as air fresheners in any way. Fabric softeners and sheets contain harmful chemicals that you should not breathe. You do not want to disperse these chemicals into the air. "The fragrances in detergents and fabric softeners can contain phthalates, chemicals that have been linked to cancer and reproductive-system harm in animal lab tests. Fragrances may also trigger asthma and allergic reactions, with symptoms including skin and respiratory irritation, headaches, and watery eyes."

This info is from The Green Guide at Grist.org, here is the link: http://www.grist.org/advice/possess ... 3/18/possessions-cleaning/index.html

Regular air fresheners also contain toxic chemicals, especially the aerosols and plug-ins. Virtually all brands of air-fresheners were found to contain phthalates [THAL-ates], potent chemicals proven to cause hormone disruption, birth defects and reproductive problems in humans and other mammals. In air-fresheners, phthalates are used to dissolve and carry the scent of fragrances, and chemicals used to color and scent the air-fresheners were identified as carcinogens. The heated-oil type actually vaporizes petroleum into the air. If you use air-fresheners, you're inhaling pollutants.

For some reason the link does not post properly: after "/advice" it should be "/possessions/2003/03/18/" (without the quotation marks, of course).

@KraftyKaren This is a great idea & I used to do something similar with my canister vacuum cleaner until I discovered how bad these products are for my family's health & the environment. (Not to mention the headaches perfumes cause me).

Personally, I do not use fabric softeners liquid or sheets any more. But there are more environmentally friendly products out there MRS Meyers makes a dryer sheet http://www.mrsmeyers.com/Products/Laundry/Lemon_Verbena_Dryer_Sheets , her Lemon Verbena products smell wonderful. You can also just try adding some essential oils to a piece of cheese cloth or other thin fabric and get the same result. I put essential oils on cotton balls & put them in the vacuum & it masks the "dog" smell that my vacuum often has.

I apologize for the way other posters may come off on their comments, some people are very passionate about their opinions & that can come across as quite rude. Please don't let this stop you from sharing other thrifty ideas.

Thanks & God Bless, Trish in CT

I was about to post the pertinent paragraphs from my previous posting, but I see they are already linked to this post. PLEASE DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER SHEETS IN YOUR A/C SYSTEMS, BEHIND FANS OR IN ANY SIMILAR WAY!!! THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA! The chemicals in those things are no joke - they are carcinogens, hormone disruptors, and nervous system disruptors. They're POISONS! You do NOT want to breathe them.

September 10, 2010 Flag

I put a dryer sheet on the back of my fans in my apartment. It stays in place when the fans are on. As the fan blows the air, the dryer sheet smell is circulated throughout my apartment. I find that it works better than sprays or candles. I live in a basement apartment and find that this gets rid of the musty smell and leaves it smelling fresh and clean.

By Mary from Chicago, IL

Dryer Sheet Air Freshener

Hey this is a "cool" idea, sorry for the pun. It also works well in a vehicle. I place a new sheet under the back seat and on hot days it freshens the interior as well. Stay fresh! (06/16/2006)

By Betsy

Dryer Sheet Air Freshener

I read that formaldehyde is in dryer sheets to soften the clothes and anytime we vent the air back into the house for the humidity or use it against our skin we have inhaled or exposed ourselves to a known toxin.You need to deal with the mold or mildew problem source.(06/19/2006)

By Ladybugv2

Dryer Sheet Air Freshener

Another thing you can do is get an old pan you don't care much about and put water in it. Then put about 3 dryer sheets in and simmer on stove. It permeates your whole house and makes it smell so good! I like to take a spray bottle and put liquid softener in it, about a third of the bottle and fill it up with water, shake well and spray everywhere. How refreshing! (12/15/2008)

By Cynthia

Box of Bounce dryer sheets.
Alternate Uses for Dryer Sheets
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersSeptember 10, 2010
Perfume as Air Freshener
Using Perfume as Air Freshener
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality