Olive Oil for Pasta

I use olive oil to keep my pasta from sticking together if I have leftovers. Learned this secret trick from my Italian in-laws years ago.

By Dawn Csernai from Austin, TX

Sorry if I ruffle your feathers, but all adding oil to pasta cooking water does is add more calories. I know it's an italian tradition to do this, and it has been studied scientifically with the result being that oil makes no difference at all in keeping pasta apart. Keeping pasta apart is decided by stiring the pasta well several times in the very beginning. Also, I did notice when I was doing this that the sauce did not stick as well to my pasta. I later read that pasta should not be rinsed when using with spaghetti sauce as the starch helps the sauce adhere to the pasta.

SORRY TO RUFFLE YOUR FEATHERS, BUT I DON'T THINK PUTTING A FEW DROPS OF OIL INTO THE PASTA WOULD ADD THAT MANY MORE CALORIES THAN WHAT YOU WOULD BE CONSUMING WITH PASTA ANYWAY. WE HAVE DONE THIS FOR YEARS. AND IF I DON'T RINSE MY PASTA IT STICKS TOGETHER AND IS CLUMPY

MY SAUCE ALWAYS STICKS REALLY WELL TO MY PASTA. MAYBE IT'S YOUR SAUCE YOU ARE USING MIGHT WANT TO TRY A BETTER SAUCE

Pasta hint from a chef, as told to me by his wife. Add spices to the pasta cooking water. She didn't know exactly what he added, but told me that her best guess was garlic powder, parsley... Didn't know quantities, so probably a teaspoon to a tablespoon of each.

JUST WENT TO A SITE ALL ABOUT VINEGAR AND THEY SAY, THAT IF YOU PUT A TSP OF VINEGAR IN ,THE PASTA WILL NOT STICK TOGETHER WHEN COOKING

www.frugalliving@about.com

You should drain, shake and serve pasta immediately. If you have to let it sit, it will stick, but a quick rinse will unstick it with hot tap water; then shake again and serve.

The starch on the pasta causes the sauce to stick; any oils and the sauce just slides off. Also, while cooking sauce, don't cover it; you're just taking the excess water evaporating from the sauce (which you want to do) and re-depositing back in, thinning it. Use a taller pot to simmer your sauce in so it doesn't spatter out instead of covering it.

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 21, 2006
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
oil lamp on white background
Using Olive Oil as Fuel for Oil Lamps
Olive Oil
Health and Nutritional Benefits of Olive Oil
🎄