What Is Eating Holes In My Leaves?

What could be eating the leaves off my cantaloupes and beets?

By Judy from Burkburnett, TX

It's probably the same thing that's turning my rhubarb leaves to lace every year. There are some little fuzzy caterpillars that come out at night and munch away. Then the earwigs pick up where they left off. I'm going to try dusting them with white flour this year. I think it might be a good repellant, but we'll see.

April 24, 2010 Flag

Something is eating the leaves on my plants and leaving them looking like lace.

Patricia from Carlsbad, CA

What Is Eating Holes In My Leaves?

Do you have a lot of grasshoppers? Or it could be worms of one kind or another. A sprinkle of a white powder called bacillus thurienginsis (BT for short), also called Dipel, should solve any worm problem, and is harmless to people. Good luck. (08/16/2007)

By Coreen

What Is Eating Holes In My Leaves?

Grasshoppers and caterpillars. They're all over our basil, too, but we're an organic farm and there's not much we can do about it except kill all of them we come across by hand. (08/16/2007)

By Alicia

What Is Eating Holes In My Leaves?

You didn't say what type of plants. It could also be aphids or slugs. Aphids you use a mix of water and dishwasher liquid in a spray bottle and spray on the plants. Roses get them a lot, but there are other plants that get them, too. Slugs, set out a saucer of beer, which they love and they will crawl into and die instead of eating your plants. (08/16/2007)

By Mythi

Photo of radishes growing in a vegetable gardening.
Controlling Insects in Your Vegetable Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Pest Control Garden Insect GuidesApril 24, 2010
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Man Putting Spackling Paste is Hole in Wall
Filling Nail Holes in a Wall