Using Sheets as Curtain Liners

I need help with exact method of using white sheets as lining for curtains made from bedsheets.

Janet from Delaware

I'm assuming you have curtains that are attached to the curtain rod with the bent wire hooks. Pull your curtains shut and measure the distance between the first and last hook on each panel. Cut a piece of paper that length (adding machine tape would work great here). Now go back to the closed curtain, hold the paper up to the top of the curtain where the hooks are fastened and make a pencil mark where each hook is located. Take the paper down and measure a width of sheet the width of the paper plus 4 inches. For length, measure the length of your curtain panel plus 7 inches. Hem the side of each liner by folding the sheet edge over one inch and pressing with an iron. Fold over one more time (another inch) and press again. Now sew these vertical seams. Fold the top of each panel an inch and iron, then another inch and iron again; sew. Before you hem the panels, use the button holer on your sewing machine to make a small button hole at each pencil mark where the hooks were located. Cut these open. Now hang your lining panel on the back side of the curtain slipping each button hole over the cutain hooks while your curtain is still hanging in place. Check the liner length and fold it up so it's about an inch shorter than the hanging curtain. Take each panel down. Fold a one inch hem and press, then fold the hem as you have marked it. Hopefully it will be from 2 to 4 inches deep to help the lining have weight and hang well. Press the deep hem, then sew. Rehang your liners and enjoy. You will note that this liner doesn't have to be as wide as your decorative curtain, saving you a lot of money and time. These liners can be taken down for the changing seasons or washed whenever you wish by just unhooking them from the back of the curtains without taking the whole window treatment down. I've made and used these in many different homes and they're wonderful. Happy sewing!

Thank you Rabbit10mom for your detailed directions. I appreciate your taking the time to explain your method so clearly. However, I have decided to not only use white sheets as liners but to use decorator sheets for the curtains themselves. In other words I will be using double sheeting but am just not sure how to attach the two and allow for a rod pocket and heading. I still prefer a curtain gathered onto a 1 and 1/2 inch rod with a shirred effect at the top. With all the many new versions of rods and ways to hang curtains, I must admit that none have the appeal for me that the old fashioned way of hanging curtains has. Unfortunately, our area does not have a full service fabric store (for which I long) and I find it difficult to get the help I need. Once again, thank you for your instructions and I shall print them and file them away for a later date. Right now, I need a "quick fix" and I think sheets will do the trick.

Crafts SewingJune 19, 2007
Making Your Own Panty Liners
Storing Cupcake Liners
Storing Cupcake Liners
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain