AdviceDogs

Beneful Dry Dog Food

What do you think of Beneful Dry Dog Food?

Ashley from Owings Mills, MD

Beneful is all my dogs eat. Only the dry food, unless I treat them with some table scraps. (occasionally...) They don't really like anything else. My sister's and both of my 2 sons dogs only eat Beneful, as well. They are all healthy, with shiny coats and the vets all say they are in good shape. (Except for the Doberman, who needs to lose some weight because he likes it TOO much...)

We use Benefil as a filler for our dogs reg food. She likes it mixed into her 20lb bag of Hills. She will not eat it unless its mixed with Benefil.

Our Baby, a black lab name Sassy is 14 years old and you would never know it by her energy. She plays like a puppy. She does have a bit if a delicate tummy. Beneful dog food is the only food that we feed her. She loves it.

Crap food. Just because they like it doesn't mean it's good for them. Dogs love stuff that's not good for them.

This should be everyone's bible:

http://www.api4 … p=359&more=1

My 4 year old lab-dalmatian mix is on the dry food for 3 years now. She eats healthy weight and it is great for her. She has a shiny coat and is very regular.

We tried it a few times, but for some reason could not keep bugs out of it. They always seemed to find their way into it no matter what we did. We got tired of throwing it out.

I have heard it's nickname is Bene - awful!

It's probably like fast-food for dogs.

What can people on a limited income buy then if Beneful is bad for dogs? We have had some misfortunes come our way to no fault of my own and I cannot afford a 20 pound bag for my 3 big dogs at 35.00 for each bag. Any ideas or advice? Thanks.

I have three dogs. A 14 year old beagle cross, and 17 month old twin black lab pups.

My Beagle has been on Beneful for many years and since the pups have been old enough to eat dry dog food, they too have been on beneful.

Our vet says our dogs are in great shape, are healthy and happy.

My Doggie Loves Beneful The Only Food She'll Eat

Anonymous

It just depends. My dog liked it but he has allergies to food. Some dogs do well on it. If that is you, then consider yourself lucky. My dog can only eat Duck and Potato food by Dick VanPatten, Natural Balance.

Please read ingredient lists when feeding your dogs. In Beneful there is no meat protein until the 5th or 6th ingredient. It has corn, corn gluten, wheat, animal by products. It's one of the worst foods made in my opinion.

Can someone suggest to me a brand of dog food then that is better than Beneful that is price comparable? Beneful runs 27.00 for a 35 lb bag. I'm on disability and I have 3 big dogs so any suggestions I would accept so I can put my babies on a better dog food diet. Thanks!

I can suggest diamond dog food. It is only sold at feed shops for farm animals and such. Like at Tractor supply. It is a very good product if you read the ingredients list. It is something like $20 give or take a dollar or two in either direction for a 40 lb bag. It is because there is no middle man hyping it up. Great product very healthy dogs and cats at my house. Good Luck.

In the pet food industry, a diet of Beneful for dogs is often compared to a human eating nothing but McDonalds. & like the guest post said, just because your dog likes it does not mean its good for them!! My dog loved eating the leftover chinese food he dug out of the trash, but he puked & had diarrhea for two days.

I am an employee at the local Pet Supermarket, a store which is highly devoted to offering the best advice possible when it comes to your pet's health. I've been working there for 11 months.

Before I started, I fed my dog Beneful purely because it was cheap. Little did I know that dogs can't even digest a large amount of the ingredients in Beneful; wheat, corn, etc. Corn causes severe dry skin in most dogs, & there is a picture of an ear of corn right on the front of the bag! The prime source of protein in Beneful is listed nearly 6-7 ingredients down the list. People, your dogs have sharp teeth for a reason. THEY ARE CARNIVOROUS!! They need their protein to promote strong muscle development. Not to mention the fact that Beneful is dyed. Uh, aren't dogs color blind?

My dog has been on Nutro Max dog food for the past 9 months. I tried the Nutro Natural Choice & the Nutro Ultra. But he got gas. Because my dog was on such low quality food for 7 years of his life, I had to switch to the lowest quality of the Nutro food. But I get my food for free, so I can understand your delemna.

Purina Pro Plan is a better alternative, but still not that fantastic of a food. My advice to you would be to chose Iams or Eukenuba. Iams is an okay food, better than Eukanuba but they are owned by the same company.

If money was not an issue I would recommend the Nutro Ultra; it is hollistic; no fillers; no chicken heads, intestine, or feet; & the source of protein (lamb, chicken, or fish) is the no. 1 ingredient!

Also Wellness is a good food. Wellness Core is excellent for dogs with allergies.

I read in a vet's advice column that you should not purchase a dog food that does not list meat as the first ingredient. The cheaper products will list corn first.

What about Royal Canin? It's the only one my 2 yr old daschund has eaten. It's getting too expensive; in one month it's gone up $5. for a 10 lb. bag. That bag now costs me $32.97 at Petsmart. Vet says it's a good food but I'm searching for something just as healthy at a lower price. I also heard it should not say "bi products.