Removing Wall-to-Wall Carpeting

My cat has pretty much ruined my bedroom carpet. I really need to put in a tile floor, but I can't afford to at this time. I would like to remove the carpet and paint the floor or use vinyl. How do you remove a wall to wall carpet? Is there something that will cut it into pieces for easier removal? What would that be?

Susann from St. Cloud, FL

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You can use a regular utility knife to cut the carpet into smaller strips. Lift a corner up and pull some back then cut with the utility knife. Then you just rip and roll it up. You will likely have some wood tacking to remove around the edges as well. You didn't say whether your carpet is glued down or on padding but the padding will have to come up and you might want to scrape any glue depending on if it will make your paint or vinyl look uneven.

It might be a good idea to lift up a corner first to see what's there - there might be only plywood sub-flooring underneath.

Make sure your garbage pick up will take the carpet, some municipalities will not. I live in Louisville, KY and they will take the carpet if it is cut into strips.

As for the cat damage, been there & done that. When you get the carpet up, paint the subfloor with KILZ primer, which is stain and odor blocking. If you don't and put in a new floor, the smell will seep through.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringNovember 19, 2008
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Woman Vacuuming Carpet
Tips for Long Lasting Carpet
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Uses for Carpet Remnants
Uses for Carpet Remnants
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 6:53:33 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.