FlooringHome Improvement

Removing Wall-to-Wall Carpeting

My cat has pretty much ruined my bedroom carpet. I really need to put in a tile floor, but I can't afford to at this time. I would like to remove the carpet and paint the floor or use vinyl. How do you remove a wall to wall carpet? Is there something that will cut it into pieces for easier removal? What would that be?

Susann from St. Cloud, FL

You can use a regular utility knife to cut the carpet into smaller strips. Lift a corner up and pull some back then cut with the utility knife. Then you just rip and roll it up. You will likely have some wood tacking to remove around the edges as well. You didn't say whether your carpet is glued down or on padding but the padding will have to come up and you might want to scrape any glue depending on if it will make your paint or vinyl look uneven.

It might be a good idea to lift up a corner first to see what's there - there might be only plywood sub-flooring underneath.

Make sure your garbage pick up will take the carpet, some municipalities will not. I live in Louisville, KY and they will take the carpet if it is cut into strips.

As for the cat damage, been there & done that. When you get the carpet up, paint the subfloor with KILZ primer, which is stain and odor blocking. If you don't and put in a new floor, the smell will seep through.