Make Your Own Custom Curtain Rods

I was searching everywhere for short (15 inch) curtain rods to use on either side of a large window (instead of having a large rod that would remain bare in the middle). I had seen them in model homes and on TV decorating shows, but they just don't seem to exist! I went to my local home improvement store, took a 1 1/4 inch dowel, cut it down myself (at the store) into my 2 rods (plus, I got a great rolling pin from the remainder piece!). I then ventured off to JC Penney to look for finials, as there were no brushed silver ones at the home store. I found 2 packages of 2 on clearance for 5.24 each package, marked down from 28.00 each, and also purchased some brackets to fit the dowels. Make sure the brackets stick out into the room enough to accommodate the finial, mine are large and chunky.

Once home, I drilled holes for the finials and installed everything. My cost for the 2 poles was about $16.00 including the brackets. Custom made ones at my local home decorating store start at 50.00 each!

Source: My own invention!

By Ginnywest from South Carolina

You are a super duper thrifty fun person! Great job on saving all that money!

Girl, this is awesome! I have never even seen these before but can imagine how cool they are. I am "on" this one! Thanks so much! I can't wait to have a cool curtain setup unlike anyone I know. Laurie

Girl, this is awesome! I have never even seen these before but can imagine how cool they are. I am "on" this one! Thanks so much! I can't wait to have a cool curtain setup unlike anyone I know.

Laurie

March 2, 2010 Flag

I have a bayside window and instead of paying too much for custom curtain rods, I made my own, using 1/2 inch flexible black plastic tubing, 1/2 inch electrical wire clips. When I finished hanging that up, I cut off the ends and added a black drawer knob that fit into the tube ends.

The result: a custom curtain rod that cost under $7.00!

It also looks pretty sharp!

By Emmy from Elsmere, KY

Answers:

Make Your Own Custom Curtain Rods

Have Mercy. I have a bay window in my kitchen and a "Friend" quoted me at least $100.00 to make me one. I have been waiting for "It" to come to me. Thank you so much for the idea.

I kinda have the Rustic Tropical theme up right now. I like it but it is time for the change. I simply took dowel rod and hung them by hooks and tied them off with Raffia, and of course I painted them and put the big ole wood beads on the ends. I found some of the Bamboo beach mats and I redid the edges with a Hot glue gun and Raffia. Turned out pretty good. Maybe cost $5.00. (Saved me $95.00) Can't beat it.

Thanks again!
(05/02/2008)

By Phyllis

Make Your Own Custom Curtain Rods

Where do you get the 1/2 inch flexible black tubing and what is it commonly used for? (05/02/2008)

By Cyinda

Make Your Own Custom Curtain Rods

The tubing is used for irrigation systems. I found it at walmart in the lawn and garden section, next to all of the hoses. It's about 6 dollars for fifty feet. I only used about five feet of it though. (05/02/2008)

By Emmy

Make Your Own Custom Curtain Rods

I used wood trim strips for my curved windows. I couldn't find any rods that were long enough or curved enough. The trim is available at any Lowe's or Home Depot and come in lengths up to about 14 ft and are inexpensive. I got a long piece and it curves over three windows for one nice long expanse instead of a bunch of small rods close together or an expensive custom rod. (05/02/2008)

By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Curtain Rod
Making Your Own Curtain Rods
Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsMarch 2, 2010
Shower Curtain Rod
Uses for Shower Curtain Rods
Shower Curtain
Repairing a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Striped shower curtain in bathroom
Making a Shower Curtain
🎉
🎄