Substituting With Self Rising Flour

If a recipes calls for flour, baking powder, and soda can I use self rising flour instead? If I can, how would I measure it to be the same?

By Laura

Best Answer

Measure the flour the same. Just omit the baking soda and baking powder.

Best Answer

If a recipe calls for baking soda, it usually has an acid along with it, such as buttermilk or vinegar or cream of tartar or sour cream. If you totally omit the baking soda, and have an acid, you will not get the desired result in your recipe.

I believe that self rising flour contains baking powder only. It should substitute nicely for the same volume of regular flour and baking powder.

I do this substitution all the time! Just be sure to omit the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Remember : Good cooks always have lots of friends.

Internet search of PastryWhiz: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder, a pinch of salt is the recipe to make self-rising flour.

Self Rising Flour
Baking With Self Rising Flour
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMarch 23, 2009
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Self Rising Flour
Making Self Rising Flour