Feeding Big Dogs

We have two large breed dogs and so it does get quite expensive to buy dog food at times. We don't like to buy the generic brands because they are full of nothing but filler. Even though they may get full, it takes more of it to fill them up than the more expensive, higher quality brands. The higher quality brands are so expensive, though, that I have found a good alternative. Try buying your dog food from a feed store. They carry several different brands and they usually very good quality and a much better price!

By Robin

I find that feeding the "cheap" dog food leads to more "poop" to be scooped. I always use a top grade dog food and use treats as we are training and the animal expects it after awhile. I use snausages for the treats but I slice each one into at least 6 pieces and that stretches them pretty good.

Agree on the cheaper dog foods really being no bargain--there's more poop because feces contains what the body doesn't need for nourishment. Smaller stools from better food happens because the dog is getting more complete nutrition.

If meat/poultry/fish protein--chicken, venison, beef ( not by-products) appear on the label in the first couple of ingredients, irregardless of the price it's a better choice.

You are so right to not feed fillers as they cause the allergies and bad health as well as bad skin. Corn, wheat and soy are bad news. A good feed store dog food is made by Diamond. The lamb and rice is better than the chicken. Chicken nowadays is loaded with arsenic. They feed chickens the arsenic to make them grow faster. Chickens are killed for market at 4 to 6 weeks of age in a commercial setting.

I think a lot of people in cities don't think about feed stores. That's where my grandma gets hers.

Another good place to buy dog food is Costco, the Costco brand. It rarely gets recalled, as do many "name" brands do. Check the ingredients against whatever brand you are buying now for quality. most likely Costo brand is higher in quality. The have many Kirkland dog food types to choose from. I have been happy with them for years (no, I do not work for Costco).

It's good to see so many smart dog owners out there who seem to know their stuff. I stopped feeding my dogs commercial dog food a few yrs ago. Instead I started feeding them boiled or roasted chicken along with brown rice & veggies. End result: They ate all of it never leaving any in their bowls. Yard pick up was a breeze hardly any poop compared to the big piles with commercial dog food. For a healthier happier dog stay away from commercial dog food.

A heaping bowl of dry dog kibble.
Saving Money on Dog Food
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 27, 2004
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
A dog with a raw steak in its bowl.
Feeding Dogs a Raw Diet